Flowerhorn breeding space

lulurida

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2009
macon ga
I recently got a 12'' male flowerhorn from someone who claimed that he's fertile.
He is currently in a 75 by himself and I would like to try to breed him.

Is a 75 gallon too small for a breeding FH's?

Is the a divider the only way, I am extremely new to breeding FH's and would appreciate any info.

Thanx!

phobolsa714

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2009
usually i just drop in the female, but if you want to stay on the safe side, i suggest you use a divider first and watch for aggression levels.

hondas3000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
BC, Canada
Its very easy to know if they can breed or not, put both male and female in and if they fight a little or some time no fight at all then you know your male is good to go. If you see they fight constantly more then an hour then its no good. Separate them out and try again later. Usually if the male is fertile then he doesn't fight with the female that much.

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
My own experience, 75 is plenty for both with filtration/waterchanges. I never put the famale into the males tank, I go the other direction and put the male into the famales tank, she lready feels at home there and is more likely to respond positivly to the new addition. When you introduce famale into males tank, he is already dominant and she is out of her element, he may beat on her before she gets a chance to figure out what the heck is going on. As for fertility if you have a spawn and no eggs are fertilized on more than 2 attempts, he may be shooting blanks.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Mattyou;3144599; said:
As for fertility if you have a spawn and no eggs are fertilized on more than 2 attempts, he may be shooting blanks.[/quote]
Lmao.. this line just cracks me up.. :ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store