Why do we call them Silvers?

musichead707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2005
CHICAGOLAND
We call Black arowanas Black Arows, and Green aros Green, blue aros blue etc etc, but i was just wondering why the Silver has developed the name it has, most of the silvers ive seen and kept have had a very noticible pink tinge to them, Im not saying lets change the name or anything (not too many guys want to call their 2-3ft monster pink) but i was just curious why it adopted silver as its name.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I've gone fishing for aros in south america (courtesy of the USN). Every single one was a bright silver with white flesh. I can only assume that the pink flesh of many captive specimens is attributed to a low grade nitrite toxicity.
Keep in mind...when you test for nitrites and find traces, your first inclination is to perform a water change. That's great for the overall system. However, that trace nitrite reading can take weeks to cleanse itself out of the fish's system. Over time that trace nitrate can steadily increase (between water changes) to the point where a fish appears to be healthy but, displays that prominent symptom of pink flesh.

musichead707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2005
CHICAGOLAND
So the pink tinge is from nitrite/nitrate?

But my arrow not only has the tinge to its skin, but also on the end of EVERY scale is a prominent teal/blue line and fades to pink. And on its lower fin are very noticable pink designs/markings.

I wasnt aware that nitrite/nitrate can actually cause markings and designs in different colors to form on fish.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The scary part is it's not just fish. Look at high-rise syndrome. People who work in sealed high-rises develop dry sinus and allergy symptoms with no allergens present. It's from spending 8,9, and 10 hours a day under building air circulation that dries the sinuses out (along with ozone and heavy E fields from commercial lighting systems and so on).
The different colors you find in the scales can be from environment and/or diet. The same occurs in humans. Changes in diet can effect hair/nail growth and color. It's all about protein levels, vitamin deficiencies, and the amino acids necessary to process those proteins.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
musichead707 said:
We call Black arowanas Black Arows, and Green aros Green, blue aros blue etc etc, but i was just wondering why the Silver has developed the name it has, most of the silvers ive seen and kept have had a very noticible pink tinge to them, Im not saying lets change the name or anything (not too many guys want to call their 2-3ft monster pink) but i was just curious why it adopted silver as its name.
i think becasue the diet we feed em is much higher in carotinoids(sp?) so the pinks and reds are enhanced

these are not so common in the wild diet of the silver arowana

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
Oddball said:
I've gone fishing for aros in south america (courtesy of the USN). Every single one was a bright silver with white flesh. I can only assume that the pink flesh of many captive specimens is attributed to a low grade nitrite toxicity.
Keep in mind...when you test for nitrites and find traces, your first inclination is to perform a water change. That's great for the overall system. However, that trace nitrite reading can take weeks to cleanse itself out of the fish's system. Over time that trace nitrate can steadily increase (between water changes) to the point where a fish appears to be healthy but, displays that prominent symptom of pink flesh.
forget it

he got it

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
Oddball said:
The scary part is it's not just fish. Look at high-rise syndrome. People who work in sealed high-rises develop dry sinus and allergy symptoms with no allergens present. It's from spending 8,9, and 10 hours a day under building air circulation that dries the sinuses out (along with ozone and heavy E fields from commercial lighting systems and so on).
The different colors you find in the scales can be from environment and/or diet. The same occurs in humans. Changes in diet can effect hair/nail growth and color. It's all about protein levels, vitamin deficiencies, and the amino acids necessary to process those proteins.

good info. though as far as ive noticed, silvers do have that pink tinge when not yet full grown. most full grown silvers in captivity ive seen all have that solid dull silver coloration

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store