New Flowerhorn Breed?

Vinnielp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Seattle, WA
Probably not, but I knew it would get your attention, and I would like some info from the experts. I have a Kamalau male and a Tan King female that I am going to breed.

My questions are:

Is there currently a name for this flowerhorn cross-breed?

Has anyone attempted this mix, and if so how did the fry turn out? Please post some pics.

Which features breed through the father's bloodline and which features are from the mother?

This is going to be a long process, but I will post pics along the way.

Thanks for the help.

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
Lets see some pictures of Male and Female so we can see the traits of each.
Mothers lend color and pearls, Fathers pass on shape and Kok potential IMO.

Vinnielp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Seattle, WA
Keep in mind the breeding attempts won't commence for another 3 to 6 months while these guys grow out a bit.

Here is the hopeful father along with his parents:
Mother HH Mother.jpg Father HH Father.jpg

Young BuckIMG_0370.JPG

Just picked up the fine female last night so I don't have any pics yet. I'll put some up in the next few days.

scotty61

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
southeast florida
this is my opinion. I will say you will get 60 to 85% strong solid single flowerline with very good red body with med+ kok. and maybe 5 to 10% with very solid red with KOK and very good pearls. I would like to see all breeding at 100% perfect but it just wont. I will say this. the pearls really look better on the babys then on the mother. when the babys get around 2 inch. and not so much more then mom but brighter.
and with some of my breedings I find that getting that second row of flowers are some times hard to get. sorry i didnt ask. is the female with kok line in her.

Vinnielp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Seattle, WA
scotty61;3153478; said:
this is my opinion. I will say you will get 60 to 85% strong solid single flowerline with very good red body with med+ kok. and maybe 5 to 10% with very solid red with KOK and very good pearls. I would like to see all breeding at 100% perfect but it just wont. I will say this. the pearls really look better on the babys then on the mother. when the babys get around 2 inch. and not so much more then mom but brighter.
and with some of my breedings I find that getting that second row of flowers are some times hard to get. sorry i didnt ask. is the female with kok line in her.

Not so sure about the potential mother's heritage. Her Father is a giant ZZ with not much kok. He did just get done breeding about 4 days ago though. The Mother of the female is solid K with heavy pearl and no flower line, can't tell if she's from huge kok lineage.

My male is only 5.5" and has a nice kok. Also his father's kok pops to about 50% larger than in the picture i posted (not my fish).

Musha

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Its hard to tell with flowerhorns bro. You do have a nice male and nice female, however I dont thing shes TK. Also, it depends on how strong their bloodlines are. If they are... how can I explain this??? If their mother and father were average, and these just happen to be the best out of the batch, the their bloodlines are not stable. However if the product you have has been perfected, then both fish should have strong genes. Truth be told, you wont know for sure until you try... When you do put me down for a few fry.

Vinnielp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Seattle, WA
Musha;3156311; said:
Its hard to tell with flowerhorns bro. You do have a nice male and nice female, however I dont thing shes TK. Also, it depends on how strong their bloodlines are. If they are... how can I explain this??? If their mother and father were average, and these just happen to be the best out of the batch, the their bloodlines are not stable. However if the product you have has been perfected, then both fish should have strong genes. Truth be told, you wont know for sure until you try... When you do put me down for a few fry.
Thanks for checkin it out. The pics of the male and female are actually just the parents of my male. I'll post pics of my female TK in a moment. Just picked her up from a local breeder for free. She doesn't look as good as a lot of her siblings, but she has great bloodlines. Her parents both look great.

Vinnielp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Seattle, WA
Finally here are pics of my female TK. She is only about 2.5" - 3" right now and has been with me for about 5 days. I'm hoping she improves over the next few months, I'll post updates when she does.
IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0412.JPG

...and here's my male again to show the pair.
IMG_0410.JPG

Vinnielp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Seattle, WA
Just to clarify. The "young buck" from my 2nd post is my male that I am hoping to breed. The other 2 pics are his parents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store