FREE FLOWERHORN

lulurida

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2009
macon ga
I got this guy about 3 weeks ago from chefrific. He said he was downsizing and I got him for free! He said that he's about 2 or 3 years old so he's still adapting to life in my tank. He supposedly he was purchased at PETSMART as a baby "three spot cichlid"! What a deal. He's finally getting his appetite and aggresion back so I think he'll get his size and full pearls back soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NQdVu8iuUk

BrynMichael

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
fatfrogs.7.forumer.com
I am really not trying to be rude, but was it proven by you or the guy who gave it to you? Only reason I ask is the obviously large, prominent black spot on the dorsal fin and the overall female body shape. I love the fish, it looks great and I think it would be great stock for breeding. If it really is a male good luck beefing him up. If it is a female, use that thing for breeding.

chefrific

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
Georgia
It is a male. This used to be my fish. I know that it "looks" female. I used to get that ALL the time. But this fish was successfully bred with a friends red devil. We watched the red devil laying the eggs. So unless by some form of modern day miracle, these eggs were fertilized by the only other fish in the tank.... this flowerhorn. I agree, it "looks" female, but you cannot always determine sex by morphology. here is a link to a vid of one of the offspring mentioned above. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh3XMfOOLKI&feature=channel_page

xiahaolong168

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
NEW YORK CITY
BrynMichael;3161156; said:
I am really not trying to be rude, but was it proven by you or the guy who gave it to you? Only reason I ask is the obviously large, prominent black spot on the dorsal fin and the overall female body shape. I love the fish, it looks great and I think it would be great stock for breeding. If it really is a male good luck beefing him up. If it is a female, use that thing for breeding.

just because it has a "black dot" on the dorsal fin doesn't exactly mean its female. its not 100% accurate.

lulurida

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2009
macon ga
... great little scavengers and usually are just too nimble and quick for the big guys
Soom reason all my big cichlid tanks have one.

I can't wait until the flowerhorn gets more used to me but i guess that's normal with older fish. I've always had big fish, I just usually have them from babies.

BrynMichael

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
fatfrogs.7.forumer.com
Actually I have kept some cheap little africans in with some of my mid sized flowerhorns in the past. It was fine for about 6 months and after that they got eatin. It actually works pretty good. I think it helps with the head boosting as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store