my new 5' black aro

Yell0r0b

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2006
?
woohoo, just got my black aro 5' black aro at my lfs for $30. n:thumbsup: never kept one before, any suggestions on how to keep it healthy and looking nice? i read alot about drop eye and gill curl, how do i prevent it? it is only in a 60g tank, but i have future plans for a bigger tank or mayb a pond. i also have couple bichirs with him, they arent as aggersice as the jardini is right, so they would be good tank mates???

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
GREAT PICK UP! thats an awesome price. Feed them a varied diet. I use FD krill, frozen market shrimp, and hikari gold pellets for mine, with occasional beefheart, bloodworms, and tilapia. DO NOT USE GOLDFISH AS FEEDERS. Blacks aren't as likely to get drop eye as Silvers, and are very gentle. To prevent gill curl, just keep his water quality pristine, and get him in a bigger tank soon. You might have another 6 months, they grow fast, and will easily out grow that tank.

sam_cj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2006
PH
congrats on your new aro. a lot of TLC will also do the trick. as for the tankmates, you may consider red hooks or silver dollar would be nice.

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
congrats nice pic up

Pangong_ilong

I want one too !
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
Fresh Meadow, NY
Are you sure it's 5' or 5". Anywho, show us some pics plz. They are one of my favorite fish. Good pickup and good price. That's a steal. Black aros in the east are expensive.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
congrats on your black aro. so far have not heard about black having dropeye problem. maybe not many people keeping them till adulthood.

a few theories on dropeye.
1) genetics
2) fatty foods like goldfish

:)

also 60g is very small. try upgrading in a few months time. for a start get the largest tank you can to avoid mutiple upgrades which wastes $

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Congrats :)

Yell0r0b

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2006
?
thx...how big of a tank should i get?? 5 feet in length or do i need more???

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
Yell0r0b said:
thx...how big of a tank should i get?? 5 feet in length or do i need more???
6X2.5 should be just nice. ofcourse the bigger the better taking the length this guys can grow to. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store