carnivore galaxy pleco

Souter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2006
Canada
I have read in a bunch of books that galaxhy plecos are carnivorus, but I own one and have never seen him attack anything living. Now I can understand it being a "carnivore" if they ate dead fish and such that sat on the bottom, which ive seen them do. However a couple of my sources say they will eat live fish, what do you guys think?:headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I assume its also called a vampire pleco? I have a vampire, and I have witnessed him actually attack goldfish.....It was an awesome site!

Jen ;)

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
they can do yes, and yes the vampire is the same fish as the galaxias. it is carnivorous, but if well fed will usually not attack fish other than over territory. but this is kinda based on the individual. i had one a while back, and it didnt attack anything, and i kept little cories with it, but as jen said, they obv do

DrBranDo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2006
Canada
they are indeed carnivorous and eat shrimp.
that's why they grow fairly fast on avg compare to the other pleco (not carnivorous one)

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
As stated above, they can and will attack fish. When they get bigger they often will. Feed these guys a meaty diet, lots of shrimp, beefheart, bloodworms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store