THERE GOES ANOTHER ONE

TOM A.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2006
WEYMOUTH, MA
Dead pleco in my African tank. The only fish I cant keep alive in my tank is plecos. I buy the common kind . The last one lasted 4 months.I think the lack of drift wood is the problem.I cant put it my tank because of the ph level. Anyone have the same problem.

gman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2005
new jersey
www.facebook.com
plecos are from south america and prefer soft water with a lower or neutral pH. Africans like a higher pH and hard water. Thats your plecos keeps dying, they are really not compatible.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Hypostomus plecostomus can handle higher pH levels, but does need to be acclimated to the higher pH. They can go up to around 8.2. The larger H. Plecostomus is much hardier than the younger ones. I would try to get one that is at least 6".

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Eh, I have naturally high pH here, and hard water, my royal is still doing great, the LFS i go to have higher pH's and hardness as well, and they sell plecs. from zebras to king tigers to commons...;)...no prob. Main thing is to avoid pH shock, be sure to acclimate.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Your LFS sells Zebras? how much do they want for them??? None of my LFS would even consider bringing one in unless you prepaid for it.

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
There is a local breeder...;)...he brings them in once they breed, then gets store credit. They are about 1.5 to 2.5" when he brings them in...kicker is...the LFS sells them for....$125 a pop....pretty bad azz eh? I was gonna get some last time, but i just don't really see the hype in them...like the cheaper, larger, prettier L-095 and L-114....:D

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
That is an awesome price for them right now... I still wouldn't spend that much, but if they were more like 75 I might consider it, and if I lived like 1200 miles closer. ah well. We have a local breed in spokane that sell the young ones for 300+. So relatively speaking yours are cheap!

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Aye....when I was in Walla Walla the LFS there, Pet Barn or whateva, would get in some nice plecs. from time to time...got in a L-014 for sale...hella expensive though...$75.....woulda been nice to know you lived so relatively close...haha...oh well...when i come up to visit my friends and miles and them, have to hook up to see the stores in Spokane! :D

And yes it is a high price for the zebras...but i've got about $100 store credit there...;)...so it would be about $25 for one! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store