Just got a Gibbiceps...

paul112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2006
United Kingdom
Hey,
Today i got a 'Gibbiceps' (leopard sailfin pleco).
Its 6cm long, healthy, eating, but is in my 72 litre tank. I was wondering how quickly these guys grow (cm/year), and also whether i should be offering some green food other than the algae wafers to such a small specimen.
Cheers,
Paul :headbang2

starrfish71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
Gainesville, Florida
hi! I have a gibby about the same size(3")- I give algae wafers a few times a week, and it also eats frozen food, like krill or squid, and any other pellets or flakes I feed. There is also driftwood in the tank. I see it all the time against the glass and it's belly is good and round. It has grown maybe half a cm in the not quite two months I've had it. I had one years ago, for about 4 years, and it grew to be about 8 inches in about two years time, but I don't know if that was the normal growth rate or not.

paul112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2006
United Kingdom
yer, i have two large pieces of driftwood in the tank with a fair amount of algae going round. He seems to have settled in nicely. I was also going to get two blue rams today, but the tank they were in had whitespot. The pet shop owner said to go back in a few days as they should be fine then when the water has been treated. Does whitespot usually clear up so quick? Or should i wait a few more days?
Paul

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
Not a freak at all. Normal growth rate is pretty fast.

sauroid

Candiru
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
somewhere in asia
my gibbi reached 16" to 18" at two years old. i feed my plecos lotsa cucumber and cichlid pellets (they live with my cichlids).

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Mine went from about 2in to about 9in in 6months.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
they have a quick growth spurt and slow down at about 8" i think. it doesnt take long for them to hit that mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store