killer mono shoal

KurseD

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2005
the rock...671!!!
my recently purchased trio of mono's have turned out to be killers. at first they would harass my oscars (oscars a good 1-2in larger then my mono's). the mono's would chase the oscars around the tank, but never really cause them any real damage. today i found one of my oscars dead and the other beaten up pretty bad. didn't think mono's were that agressive, does anybody else have mono's that are this aggresive?

RockyGoldy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Singapore
KurseD said:
my recently purchased trio of mono's have turned out to be killers. at first they would harass my oscars (oscars a good 1-2in larger then my mono's). the mono's would chase the oscars around the tank, but never really cause them any real damage. today i found one of my oscars dead and the other beaten up pretty bad. didn't think mono's were that agressive, does anybody else have mono's that are this aggresive?
Well..as innocently as how monos look..they are indeed territorial...but to the extend of killing an oscar is indeed something not common...

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Yeah monos do have an aggressive side to them.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Why are you keeping an Oscar with Monos? Monos are brackish water fish
while Os are primarily freshwater. Sorry to derail a bit.

BTW- where in Guam are you? Love that island.. i always go to PNC .
good times!

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
unknownuza13 said:
mono's as in the peacock bass are brackish?
i think hes referring to mono's as in fingerfish being brackish. but ive also heard that monos are also found in fresh water and salt water. anybody else hear of this?

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
islander671 said:
i think hes referring to mono's as in fingerfish being brackish. but ive also heard that monos are also found in fresh water and salt water. anybody else hear of this?
yes they r found in salt and fresh
i have 1 in a marine tank now
mean lil boogers

mono sebae & argentus
get pretty big

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
I used to have a predatory brackish water tank with eight large monos. They would literally shred feeders.

KurseD

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2005
the rock...671!!!
from what i was told, if a mono's is raised in a freshwater tank while it's still small it can be kept in a freshwater tank, but just to be safe i made my water slightly brackish. keeping the PH alkaline was recommended too. so far the mono's are doing good, i had to move my wounded oscar to another tank just to be safe. the tank at my LFS has got some huge mono's in a 100gal living with oscars,dats, and pacus. thanks for all the info guys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store