breeding L236

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
Starting a breeding project for L236 in one of my tanks... have a coupla nice thick barred ones for starters.

Hopefully all turns out well...

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
nice, hope all goes well. What set up do you have for them. All i know is that they are cave spawners and are thought to lay quite a lot of eggs when they do

L236.jpg

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
nice, hope all goes well. What set up do you have for them. All i know is that they are cave spawners and are thought to lay quite a lot of eggs when they do
have a large driftwood setup in a 3ft tank for them.

Woods are holey enough... they're eating well now so the setup shld be just right.

will start once i roughly figure out the sex of what i have.

Will also try to breed L239s... have a male already, will get another male and a female or 2 females to try out.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Males have longer pectoral and interopercular odontodes. Males also have plate odontodes on the body. The females tend to be rounder aswell. If i were you i'd put in a couple of cave like structures aswell, as they are cave spawners, to give them a lot of choice. also make the caves so they would be quite tight fitting, as this works best as this is what plecos look for.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
also the best crevices for potential spawning sites are long narrow ones, and plastic or bamboo pipes can also be used to provide shelters (which will eventually become spawning sites). I cut off the one end though so there was only one entry and exit point when i was breeding a couple of types of cave spawners. It'll be a good sign if your male takes place in one of these caves and stays their, and females tend to be a bit more nomadic. You could try more than one male, but id give a ratio of 3-4:1 at least, so there you may decide theres not much room as they get to 5". really after you do this all you can do is feed them well, get their preferred water quality (i'd go with slightly acidic to neutral-even though they do survive in higher). I'd also keep the temperature on the higher side of what they prefer (about 26-28 degrees) when you decide to breed them. good luck and keep posted

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
Males have longer pectoral and interopercular odontodes. Males also have plate odontodes on the body. The females tend to be rounder aswell. If i were you i'd put in a couple of cave like structures aswell, as they are cave spawners, to give them a lot of choice. also make the caves so they would be quite tight fitting, as this works best as this is what plecos look for.
kinda hard to see right now.

They are well hidden in the nooks and crannies... figure i have one confirmed female.
May visit my LFs for another raid for a male if i cant find one among the ones i have.

my water is kinda cool but tt doesnt seem to be bother them... doing v happily in fact and colors are much better than at the LFS.

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
also the best crevices for potential spawning sites are long narrow ones, and plastic or bamboo pipes can also be used to provide shelters (which will eventually become spawning sites). I cut off the one end though so there was only one entry and exit point when i was breeding a couple of types of cave spawners. It'll be a good sign if your male takes place in one of these caves and stays their, and females tend to be a bit more nomadic. You could try more than one male, but id give a ratio of 3-4:1 at least, so there you may decide theres not much room as they get to 5". really after you do this all you can do is feed them well, get their preferred water quality (i'd go with slightly acidic to neutral-even though they do survive in higher). I'd also keep the temperature on the higher side of what they prefer (about 26-28 degrees) when you decide to breed them. good luck and keep posted
will be trying a new idea to get them to breed...

if it works will share this technique w the members.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Sounds like quite an undertaking. Let me know about the L239 breeding, have thrown the idea around in my head about trying that, but haven't decided.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store