Arapaima's appetite & temperament

Juanch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2006
Philippines
I bought an 8" arapaima sometime in march and it's grown to 12" now... it used to eat about 5 feeders a day but now seems to have lost it's appetite... sometimes it would eat only about 3... also it now only stays in the far corner of my tank & would swim around it only @ night when light has been turned off... is this normal?

fishyboi

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
HERE
maybe he got sick, from a sick feeder, mine is sick and so i started to do waterchanges because he has a cloudy eye

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
my aros scales turn black sometimes then fall off...

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Ok, I hate to go here, but what size tank is it in? What type of lighting do you have? How much circulation are you running? What types of feeders have you been using? Any tank mates? Color of substrate? How long has the tank been running?

Black scales in gigas indicate two things: Poor water chemistry and stress. They can be brought back around. Laying on the bottom and hiding for extended periods is a sign on stress. Has the level of activity around the tank increased?

Those answers from you will aide in me helping get you answers.

Ocean Blue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2006
So. CAL
Black coloration does not mean that it's stressed. If you have a black background tank and dark gravel, pima will become very dark to black. If you put them in a light color tank they will be green/gray.

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
my aros scales turn black sometimes then fall off...
woah, never experienced that before. maybe he banged himself a bit and the scales that got hit turned black then fell?

anywayz, maybe the gigas is just adjusting to new water conditions. check and maintain

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
I bought an 8" arapaima sometime in march and it's grown to 12" now... it used to eat about 5 feeders a day but now seems to have lost it's appetite... sometimes it would eat only about 3... also it now only stays in the far corner of my tank & would swim around it only @ night when light has been turned off... is this normal?
pare, where did you get your gigas, how much and what's your set-u with it. im kinda trying to decide if i should get one

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store