Brackish Puffer Tank Finally Setup!

JardiniBoy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2005
Taipei
www.reddragons.sc
So I finally converted my 12G planted tank in my classroom at work to brackish yesterday. Today I added a 2" figure 8 puffer and a bag of cleaner (Amano) shrimps. The little guy is really active and was munching on a dead shrimp right out of the bag.

Since then he's been buzzing around the tank like crazy and seems to be doing fine. I'll post pics next time I bring my camera to school.

:thumbsup:

JB

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
awesome i love to see the pics. oh arent amano shrimp price'y?

JardiniBoy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2005
Taipei
www.reddragons.sc
awesome i love to see the pics. oh arent amano shrimp price'y?
No, these are the cheap feeder/cleaner shrimp caridina japonica. They cost the equivalent of less than $1 here for bag with at least 50 ... maybe 100!

theyre not that bad. i duno how long theyll last though with a puffer
That's the whole point! They're his food for the next little while. It's his natural food and it just means that I don't have to worry about freezing his things here at work ... much easier. :grinyes:

digitalbliss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
You'll also have to get him snails to trim those teeth.
Also, 12g is not enough to house him for life. Figure 8s are suggested at least 20g/fish for life.

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
isnt juvenile figure 8 puffer freshwater? it does required brackish setup to strive as it gets adulthood. where did you get your figure 8?

digitalbliss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
It would depend mostly on how the shop he got it from had it set up. Most likely it should have been acclimated from FW to Brackish, but if the shop actually had him set up in a brackish environment then it's best not to change this.

But yes, Figure 8s are one of the species that go into FW estuaries to breed and then move back into Brackish/Salt Water. I believe I've even seen some people keeping their F8s in Full SW.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store