Plecos and salt?

Datnoid101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Off the deep end
tigercraze.com
Can plecos thrive and do well with salt in the tank? And what temp can they survive in? I have an albino sailfin, trinidad, leopard sailfin, royal, and vittata. I want to transfer them to a 55g with my datnoids.

weevee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2006
SINGAPORE
hi buddy... i dont think ple*o like salt water...:)

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
well, plecos arent really found in brackish or salty water. however like ming said it is possible to do, and probably in the same way that you can keep fig. of 8 puffers in freshwater. i personally wouldnt do it, but i think the sailfin (l083) will be alright for sure, and the trinidad will prob be to (Glyptoperichthys punctatus?) aswell as the peckotilia sp. im not sure about the royal, they can be pretty fussy. i wouldnt put any pleco in brackish water though just because they come from soft blackwaters, the opposite of brackish. ive seen plecos kept in brackish water and they swell up really big and develop huge boils as they can not pass excess water because their osmosis regulatory organs can not function. you can try it but im not sure on your outcome

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
ya i put aquarium salt in all my tanks and have nothhing but healthy fish

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
aquarium salt doesn't make the water "marine" or "brackish". only marine salt does.

your pleco will be just fine. ;)
i thought he meant marine salt. is the reason you use aquarium salt just to help stop diseases etc?

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Mine have salt in there water, mostly as a preventative, but I have never tried it that high. I would agree with davo that the royal would be a bad choice for that. the trinidad and sailfin will be fine, as will the rest I suspect. I would hold off on the royal see how your other plecs do under that much salt, and then you can try it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store