handling aro's

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
My silver aro likes to be touched. I always scrub clear to my armpits, take off jewelry, and put a little stresscoat in the water, but my aro is friendly when I work in his tank. Now he's all over, wanting me to stroke his belly and he nudges into my work until he gets the rubs. I know it's my risk on being bitten(he isn't aggressive) but in moderation, can this hurt him? He loves it.:grinyes:

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
My silver aro likes to be touched. I always scrub clear to my armpits, take off jewelry, and put a little stresscoat in the water, but my aro is friendly when I work in his tank. Now he's all over, wanting me to stroke his belly and he nudges into my work until he gets the rubs. I know it's my risk on being bitten(he isn't aggressive) but in moderation, can this hurt him? He loves it.:grinyes:
to be honest touching a fish is not a good idea
you damage the slim coat and cause stress everytime you touch the fish.

it may not be apperant, but it is taking place.

im starting to think that you believe your fish is a kid :grinno:

oscar300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
UK
I have seen an awsome video of a 3ft silver being stroked just like this. He was so happy to see his owners hand in the water....mad stuff!!

I would get the link but www.youtube.com is down for repair.

gollum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2006
Australia
I think thats great...:clap
I think if you're gentle, despite potential damage to you and your fish
if everything is ok keep doing it if you want to
I used to hand feed my leichardt saratoga and he liked to skim past me but he eventually got too excited and I had to stop it...

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
You can stoke them, but in moderation. Don't be touching them everyday, while stress coat will help with slime coat, you still don't want to do it too often.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
i agree with whats been said touching your fish needs to be done sporadically if at all.
my aro swims around my arms when i am working on the tank and my dat tries to eat my fingers.

Opiate

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Where eva theres Cichla!!!
just put a few teaspoons of buttersalt afterwards!! it'll restore the fish slime...if ur gently yea go for it!! :)

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Mine doesn't like to be touched either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store