Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
i'm wondering what the difference is between a sailfin and a common pleco

oscar300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
UK
From a basic point of view, the sail fin has a huge dorsal fin and the common doesnt.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
They are different species of plecos.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
ok, hypostomus plecostomus (usually known as the common pleco)is currently the one single fish that is correctly a pleco. all other plecos are "Loricariids". a sailfin is Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
theyre differences:

the gibby will get to about 18", whereas the common will get up to 24".
The common can stand cooler water better.
theyre general care is pretty much identical
theyre colouring is different as well as some physical characteristics as shown below (the gibby is showing its extended dorsal fin, and is well developed):

pleco1.jpg

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
also theyre are a few "common plecos" out there, is the one you were talking about hypostomus plecostomus? cause i know Hypostomus punctatus (below) is very similar to H. plecostomus- a darker fish with smaller spots (similar to that found on the head of H. punctatus) covering the whole body. other than that they are also identical in care

754ygw.jpg

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
H. Punctatus or trinadad plecs are often sold as commons, but common is a term that just refers to the plecos that the pet store may or may not know what they are. I have seen royals sold this way, as well as rubberlip, and a L114, as well as some G. gibbiceps, and have heard of people getting blue eyes that way. davo your forgeting the color morphs for H. Plecostomus, chocolate, cinammon.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
theres colour morphs in them all. some gibbys are really red, others arent. albinos are common. theres a yellow morph of the H. plecostomus too. it was general info. i agree though that many plecos are sold as commons, but these are the most likely

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
its funny how some that are sold as "commons" don't look very common, like one with a blue eye???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store