the pl*co myth

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
PLECO. you will often find the aforementioned generic term referred to as pl*co in a number of places. This censorship arose from a cyber-superstition centering around a number of unexplained pleco deaths. Essentially when a given pleco was discussed via internet like a forum, the unfortunate individual fish perished. Fishkeepers being the superstitious lot that they are adopted the textual equivalent of coded whispering by referring to their beloved plecos as pl*cos to stop the curse.

Now what i want to know, is how long has this been going for, and how have i never heard of it? has anyone else?

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Not till now. I use pleco and my are fine, crap it just died.

skinless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
Edmonton, CAN
another old faq site like thekrib has emails from like 96-98(?) with pl*co everywhere.
i was actually thinking about that awhile back, how its not really used here. what a joke.

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
i have now im scared :(

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I've heard of that before, and that was from quite a while ago. Kind of like how some people now believe if you name a fish it will die. superstitions can run wildly out of control.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
obviously for those that did know about it, we don't believe in it. ooh or maybe we do...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store