PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap...can you say Salmonelle?

rmorse
08-20-2009, 9:54 AM
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/fail-owned-parenting-fail.jpg?w=500&h=338

SimonL
08-20-2009, 9:58 AM
You're not likely to get Salmonella off a snake unless it was kept in absolute squalor.

RWaltman
08-20-2009, 10:07 AM
hahahahahaha.....wow, just poor parenting all across the board on this one, guess I shouldn't be laughing....

Vicious_Fish
08-20-2009, 11:10 AM
LOL!

jag123
08-20-2009, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't be so worried about the Salmonella as the snake deciding to have a snack....

Mampam
08-20-2009, 11:13 AM
um......... dont they grow out of salmonella???

latshki
08-20-2009, 1:07 PM
your more likely to get salmonela from water or food than any reptile

coura
08-20-2009, 5:52 PM
People are excedingly stupid:irked: NO animal whatsoever should get into direct contact with a child so young period. Even comon bugs people normaly have all over their skin can afect children that young because they are so fragile and their himune sistem has yet to become in full gear. Even dogs should have limeted contact with chidren to the age of 5 and in my opinion only with 5 as well should children be first allowed to handle a reptile

KMKN
08-20-2009, 5:53 PM
Fail

Brooklynella
08-20-2009, 9:23 PM
People are excedingly stupid:irked: NO animal whatsoever should get into direct contact with a child so young period. Even comon bugs people normaly have all over their skin can afect children that young because they are so fragile and their himune sistem has yet to become in full gear. Even dogs should have limeted contact with chidren to the age of 5 and in my opinion only with 5 as well should children be first allowed to handle a reptile

I think keeping a child away from ....everything....is imposible. Never heard of this theory before.:confused:
The only reason a child should not handle a reptile is to prevent harm to the reptile, not the other way around. Little kids tend to squeeze, poke, drop & throw stuff.
I'm a liittle speechless about your opinion regarding contact with dogs.:confused: Really the only danger a properly trained dog poses to a child is allergies and of course, bites (Which of course is a serious matter).
The child in that picture is in the 8-12 month range, judging by his ability to sit up straight. They aren't all that fragile.:)
All that being said I wouldn't let either of my 2 children (One of whom is 9 months old) sit with or interact with a large boa (Or any other snake). My 4 yr old son has taken quite a liking to my new creamsicle Corn snake and I let him handle it while supervised. Again, i'm more concerned for the snake than my son. I don't feel stupid or irresponsible but I guess you never know.
Back to children for a moment...
The best way to build a child's immune system (Something that happens pretty well all on it's own) is to not try and protect them from ....EVERYTHING...but rather expose them to their environment.;)
A rattle dropped on a carpet poses more of health risk to that kid than that snake's skin, btw.

knifegill
08-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Yep. Just like over-domesticated fish strains, overprotected people are more likely to develop all sorts of allergies and succumb to infections. When I was a kid (before five), I ate balls of hair from under the couch, paint chips and mud. Who knows what else I ate, my memories from that time are few and far between. But as an adult, I rarely get sick, and I have only mild allergies to dairy and 'hayfever/seasonal allergies'. Immune systems need exercise, too. Not with salmonella, of course, but the vast majority of household lifeforms are useful punching bags for a developing system.

rmorse
08-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Exactly. Which is why I plan on having my baby chew on not only redtail boas, but also caimens, alligator snappers, and a tree frog or two.

knifegill
08-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Don't forget raw sewage in the bottle! ;)

Jeox
08-21-2009, 1:02 AM
Fish carry salmonella more often than reptiles do.

davo
08-21-2009, 7:09 AM
Nom Nom Nom. Snake can't eat me if I eat snake first!

Yep. Just like over-domesticated fish strains, overprotected people are more likely to develop all sorts of allergies and succumb to infections. When I was a kid (before five), I ate balls of hair from under the couch, paint chips and mud. Who knows what else I ate, my memories from that time are few and far between. But as an adult, I rarely get sick, and I have only mild allergies to dairy and 'hayfever/seasonal allergies'. Immune systems need exercise, too. Not with salmonella, of course, but the vast majority of household lifeforms are useful punching bags for a developing system.

Yeah, i ate all kinds of crap too- mud, pennies, buttons, safety pins... whatever was on the floor basically! I can't remember the last time I was ill, so my immune system must be pretty good.

Exactly. Which is why I plan on having my baby chew on not only redtail boas, but also caimens, alligator snappers, and a tree frog or two.
me too!

SimonL
08-21-2009, 7:26 AM

OMG that was priceless lol

Ursvamp86
08-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Oh that's sooo precious! ANIMALITY! FLAWLESS VICTORY!

Mother: "Honey? Wheres the baby?"
Father: "Uh...don't know, hun...but good news we wont have to feed the snake for a month!"

jason longboard
08-22-2009, 1:48 AM
its not any worse than where remorse puts his snake.

mr.reef24
08-22-2009, 2:12 AM
that's so terrible cute lol

mr.reef24

rmorse
08-22-2009, 8:51 AM
its not any worse than where remorse puts his snake.

Yea....Are you coming over tonight? :naughty::drool:

coura
08-22-2009, 7:39 PM
I think keeping a child away from ....everything....is imposible. Never heard of this theory before.:confused:
The only reason a child should not handle a reptile is to prevent harm to the reptile, not the other way around. Little kids tend to squeeze, poke, drop & throw stuff.
I'm a liittle speechless about your opinion regarding contact with dogs.:confused: Really the only danger a properly trained dog poses to a child is allergies and of course, bites (Which of course is a serious matter).
The child in that picture is in the 8-12 month range, judging by his ability to sit up straight. They aren't all that fragile.:)
All that being said I wouldn't let either of my 2 children (One of whom is 9 months old) sit with or interact with a large boa (Or any other snake). My 4 yr old son has taken quite a liking to my new creamsicle Corn snake and I let him handle it while supervised. Again, i'm more concerned for the snake than my son. I don't feel stupid or irresponsible but I guess you never know.
Back to children for a moment...
The best way to build a child's immune system (Something that happens pretty well all on it's own) is to not try and protect them from ....EVERYTHING...but rather expose them to their environment.;)
A rattle dropped on a carpet poses more of health risk to that kid than that snake's skin, btw.
Oh cīmon do you see any potencial advantage from alowing a so direct contact between a snake and a child so young? The child using the snake as a chewing toy? I dont think so. And yes I know a captive bred boa its probably more safe to be around than most people you see on the street and yes your 4 year old son its completly safe with your corn snake as well, my line of though its just comon sence and also what Ive been teached by my family, my granpa, bless him, was a doctor and my mom allways had in its home dogs, cats and birds, however they had a normal hygene regimen wich included: very young child dont come into direct contact with pets, allways wash your hands and you dont kiss the dogs, thats it and will make the small risks practicly non existent. Oh and a dog must be vacineted and desparazitezed in order to be safe for a child. If Im not in error dogs and cats can transmit nothing less then 12 zoonosis between bacteria, parasites and others. And Im not saing like isolating the child from the world in any means but for example as much healty a reptile may be it can have tiny bits of dirt stuck in the scales, its normal and yes child that young can be fragile to agressive patogens. Some pets are completly harmless others arent. It really has to be a limbo between exposure and non exposure, a equilibrium if you will. Allowing some things and others not

loconorc
08-23-2009, 8:40 PM
I think someone went forward in time and took a picture of my future kid :P

jschall
08-26-2009, 1:16 PM
I'm not so worried about that kid getting diseases. I'm more worried about the ability of the snake to kill the child before a caretaker can even get to a bottle of alcohol, if said caretaker even knows to do so. Granted, the caretaker is probably DRINKING the bottle of alcohol, but also probably doesn't know to pour it on the snake's head if it starts eating the kid.

coura
08-26-2009, 4:29 PM
I would say that the risk of the snake actualy misidentifying the kid for food at least in that context its low, it is on the open, outside its normal envoiremet and its probably buggen by that, its still a wild animal but the risk should be low, boas have generaly a good temper, at that level that is. That however doesant mean people should give it ANY KIND of chance of any thing bad happening. All in all big epic FAIL

rmorse
09-10-2009, 5:15 PM
Ummmm......Bump?

http://3.media.tumblr.com/O5dig2zienhfwji1Y6FNWubUo1_500.jpg

iloveoscars702
09-10-2009, 5:39 PM
Ummmm......Bump?

http://3.media.tumblr.com/O5dig2zienhfwji1Y6FNWubUo1_500.jpg
wow :WHOA::WHOA::screwy::nilly:
thats one expensive feeder ;)

rmorse
09-10-2009, 5:40 PM
wow :WHOA::WHOA::screwy::nilly:
thats one expensive feeder ;)

Nah, they cheap....they just take forever to arrive.

krichardson
09-10-2009, 7:56 PM
Ummmm...Bump
Lol,looks like it already swallowed a rattle...whats next?

Brooklynella
09-11-2009, 8:57 AM
Unfortunately there is no qualifing exam to become a parent.

coura
09-13-2009, 5:39 AM
Unfortunately there is no qualifing exam to become a parent.
It should need a permit;)

rmorse
09-17-2009, 3:31 PM
Seriously? There are more parents like this?

http://17.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kq4k0dsw0l1qzyb6po1_400.jpg