MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Great Mills, Maryland

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
You're not likely to get Salmonella off a snake unless it was kept in absolute squalor.

RWaltman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Warren, PA
hahahahahaha.....wow, just poor parenting all across the board on this one, guess I shouldn't be laughing....

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
I wouldn't be so worried about the Salmonella as the snake deciding to have a snack....

Mampam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2008
U.S.
um......... dont they grow out of salmonella???

latshki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
prince edward island, canada
your more likely to get salmonela from water or food than any reptile

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
People are excedingly stupid:irked: NO animal whatsoever should get into direct contact with a child so young period. Even comon bugs people normaly have all over their skin can afect children that young because they are so fragile and their himune sistem has yet to become in full gear. Even dogs should have limeted contact with chidren to the age of 5 and in my opinion only with 5 as well should children be first allowed to handle a reptile

Brooklynella

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
LI, NY
coura;3386028; said:
People are excedingly stupid:irked: NO animal whatsoever should get into direct contact with a child so young period. Even comon bugs people normaly have all over their skin can afect children that young because they are so fragile and their himune sistem has yet to become in full gear. Even dogs should have limeted contact with chidren to the age of 5 and in my opinion only with 5 as well should children be first allowed to handle a reptile

I think keeping a child away from ....everything....is imposible. Never heard of this theory before.:confused:
The only reason a child should not handle a reptile is to prevent harm to the reptile, not the other way around. Little kids tend to squeeze, poke, drop & throw stuff.
I'm a liittle speechless about your opinion regarding contact with dogs.:confused: Really the only danger a properly trained dog poses to a child is allergies and of course, bites (Which of course is a serious matter).
The child in that picture is in the 8-12 month range, judging by his ability to sit up straight. They aren't all that fragile.:)
All that being said I wouldn't let either of my 2 children (One of whom is 9 months old) sit with or interact with a large boa (Or any other snake). My 4 yr old son has taken quite a liking to my new creamsicle Corn snake and I let him handle it while supervised. Again, i'm more concerned for the snake than my son. I don't feel stupid or irresponsible but I guess you never know.
Back to children for a moment...
The best way to build a child's immune system (Something that happens pretty well all on it's own) is to not try and protect them from ....EVERYTHING...but rather expose them to their environment.;)
A rattle dropped on a carpet poses more of health risk to that kid than that snake's skin, btw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store