Bumblebee Gobies : Brackish Beauties

walrusman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2006
San Diego
Bumblebees are not a good fish for the beginning aquarist although relatively hardy when given correct conditions. They require a small brackish tank (5 to 10 gallons) to themselves or with other small, slow, and peaceful fish that can tolerate mild brackish conditions. They will not likely feed on anything that is not alive or from the freezer (no flakes) and greatly enjoy bloodworms. They reach maximum size at around 1.5'' and tend to be relatively shy. Large, boisterous fish are not suitible as tankmates. Salinity should be kept at no lower than 1 teaspoon per gallon as freshwater raises the likelyhood of disease in this fish and promotes an early death. Like most gobies, these little guys have fused pectoral fins that create a suction cup ( they often cling to decorations and glass walls). If you are not sure about what this fish looks lke, run an image search on Google in its name. There are a number of subspecies with varying patterns and color but the pattern is generally black stripes on a yellow to bright orange body.

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
cool gobys, we gos some in today that were barely 1/3in

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
Love my little gobie! At first he would only eat live brine shrimp, but now he eats frozen shrimp, frozen blood worms, and sometimes a flake or two of Prime Reef, so I must disagree with the "only live food." He shares a lightly planted 20 gallon brackish (actual water is only 15 gallons because of the landings for the crabs) with my flounder, a couple crabs, a horned nerite and tons of MTS!

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
I really like these little guys, I've got one eating non-live foods as well, I want another tank to get a couple more! good info!

walrusman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2006
San Diego
Every fish, even of the same species, can have a different personality. Some gobies will be willing to eat processed and dried food, others will only attack a moving, fleshy target. Regardless, it is best to find these little guys a few favorite foods and mix thier diet from day to day. When I was first interested in these fish as a novice aquarist, I knew nothing about these gobies. I asked an employee at a local store for help finding a fish suited for a small freshwater community. She told me these were no-trouble fish suited for the beginner. She lied. After they failed to eat for a week I researched these picky little guys and solved the problem by buying frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp eggs. I placed them in a seperate brackish aquarium and they are still with me today (with a few new friends).

ShadowVengance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
your house
I don't agree with some of that information.

I have 2 in a 5 gallon tank with 4 red Asian crabs, a rosey red minnow and a bunch of feeder guppy fry.

I feed the tank only shrimp pellets. Keeping the crabs fed keeps them off the fish, they prefer pellets to hunting by faaar.

both of my gobies LOVE shrimp pellets, i give a variety of kinds, omega and wardley's are their faves.

I use marine salt mixed with aquarium salt and mix in a tablespoon and half per water change.

they are about 1.3" and are completly healthy

i thought i'd share that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store