Lowest temp aro can take.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
What is the lowest temperature that a silver aro can take. When my aro gets about 8in I would like to put him in my uncle's 9000gl koi pond for the summer so that he can get some size on him.

The weather has been so crappy lately in MI that the water outside has been changeing so much my uncle bought a 11,000 watt hot tub heater so that the fish don't keep going dormant and the temp never goes under 70 degrees Farhenheit with the heater attached.

Would 70 degrees be about the lowest it could take? By the time he is big enough to go in the weather should be fine, but in case it should go that low would my aro be fine.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
What is the lowest temperature that a silver aro can take. When my aro gets about 8in I would like to put him in my uncle's 9000gl koi pond for the summer so that he can get some size on him.

The weather has been so crappy lately in MI that the water outside has been changeing so much my uncle bought a 11,000 watt hot tub heater so that the fish don't keep going dormant and the temp never goes under 70 degrees Farhenheit with the heater attached.

Would 70 degrees be about the lowest it could take? By the time he is big enough to go in the weather should be fine, but in case it should go that low would my aro be fine.
try to get to 75

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
ive heard of people using ice to knock their aros out when performing gill operations. they seem to survive afterwards, i dont know the actual temp of that water though

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I don't think an Aro would survive long in MI.

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
doesn't arapaimag keep his 15,000 gallon at 70-75F with many healthy aros? i would wait till the aro is at least 12" to put it in 70F water, and you should lower the temperature for the aro little by little over time so it can adapt instead of going from a 80F tank to a 70F pond abruptly

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
I think it would be alright in 70degrees as long as the temperature does not rise or fall dramatically- that's what kills fish. I know of a certain member here that keeps most of his fish in 70-75 degree water and his fish are fine. Just make sure the temp. does not fluctuate. Also if you decide to do it, don't just throw the aro in the pond. Acclimate him very slowly to the temp. I use a drip method, or poor in a cup of water every 5 minutes.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
My aros are in 66F....

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
OK, when I was new and stupid, MFK buddies told me to keep my silver around 78-82. I keep him at 79 to allow for room tep fluctuation either way. What is the hottest or when does it get into the dangerously high zone?

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
The pond is 9000gl and the temp doesn't fluctuate that fast at all, and it will never go below 70. He keeps oscars, tinfoil barbs and pacus in there and they have all done fine at 70. It is just that this is my fish and I don't wan't anything to happen to it.

My aro is only 6in so it has awhile to go before I feel that it will be safe in the pond. By the time he is big enough the temp of the pond should stay around 78 to 80 degrees. Just wanted to make sure it would be safe if the temp happened to go to 70.

Thanks everyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store