different colors?

lookyloo

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
moving
i currently own 2 jardinis, one is normal coloration the other is more silvery white and the fins are a dark blueish color, i heard that they do have a platium color, anyone else ran into or found different colored jardinis

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
yeah, there are even red, orange and gold colored as far as ive heard and seen in pics. but unlike asians, these are not established variants. you cant come up to an lfs and tell them you want to order a red or gold jardini. there are no selective breeding programs as of now. i think this is a market breeders in the states should jump on. you dont find these colors on silvers and asians are illegal. why not selective breed jardinis for more established color morphs?

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
yeah but dont you think its worth it? i mean the singaporeans did it....asian aros are not native to singapore plus they had to work hard to get permits from CITES coz the fishes are at the brink of extinction. dont you think that was harder work? but they did it. and look at the asian arowana variants hobbyists can enjoy now, all produced from 2nd generation captive breeding programs! i think the US has the technology and know-how to do this

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Yeah we do, but there aren't many that are willing to take it on. Rottbo might, but who knows. I personally would love that, but the costs are just too great. Many of the Asian aro breeders got their stock before the asian aro was listed didn't they?

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
Yeah we do, but there aren't many that are willing to take it on. Rottbo might, but who knows. I personally would love that, but the costs are just too great. Many of the Asian aro breeders got their stock before the asian aro was listed didn't they?
nope, actually they got their stock in the mid-80's, asian aro was CITES listed in 1975 :D
But the farm that started it all and got the first license ever, Rainbow Aquarium Pte Ltd. started at about 1974-75, already having 1000 brooders for the three color variants, Red, Gold and Green. For the registration, i think only less than 400 fishes all F1(1st gen/wild caught mix), the best of the best were submitted to get the license and start the ball rolling for the breeding program.

i get what you mean, its a very tall order. especially at today's operational costs. but ey, let aquarists dream eh? :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store