brackish water Moray Eel

albinomoray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2006
MD
I found myself an albino Moray Eel found in brackish water. Does anyone know what to look out for as he or she gets larger to try and determine which species it may be? It is very small now and I am keeping it with an albino polypterus senagal and a rope fish on a temporary basis because I know it will eventually become large enough that these will become lunch at some point. I wanted to get an idea of just how large he will get. they tend to range anywhere from 2 ft to 6 ft depending on species with some getting even larger.

Does anyone ever had any experience with Morays that could give me some pointers?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
the tile sp. is more common in brackish but an LFS will sell you any saltwater moray as brackish or freshwater. you got a pic?

Fabio's Dad

Annie the Sun Conure
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
Colfax, WA USA
Morays can get anywhere between 2 and 12 feet!!! The two types that are the hardest to determine between are the Muraena and the Gymnotorax. I believe the difference is that they occasionally look very close, but the Muraena's dorsal fin is covered in a layer of skin that can vary in thickness. The Gymnomuraena zebra looks like an Echidna(used to be classified as one), but looks nothing like the gymnothorax. It's skin layer is very thick. It barely has a dorsal. The Jewel moray is also a muraena, but looks a lot like the gymnothorax. It's skin layer is very thin. I thought it was a gymnothorax the first time I saw it.

Let's see some pics!!!!!!!

I'm about to go insane, waiting to see this!!!!!!!!!!!

Please preserve my sanity and show us pictures soon!!!!

albinomoray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2006
MD
I will be placing pics soon. My Polypterus Senegalus and Ropefish have died. I am assuming the salt content was too much for them. I do however have a Dojo Loach with my Moray which has not had any problems and it has been in this tank quite a while now.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
hmm theyre not brackish fish? your dojo loach may get become ill in the salt, but if it doesnt i wouldnt be suprised if it became food for the moray

Fabio's Dad

Annie the Sun Conure
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
Colfax, WA USA
I can't wait to see a pic!! Post pics before we go insane!!!

rkc772

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Southern California 91744
i had a moray but only for a day since i felt like they want to eat my bichir so i returned them. i never did any brakish water or evey salt on the water. i just feel that they don't need it. the moray was excellent. when i returned it... after a week he is still in tip top condition.:)

andywg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2006
Southend, England
i had a moray but only for a day since i felt like they want to eat my bichir so i returned them. i never did any brakish water or evey salt on the water. i just feel that they don't need it. the moray was excellent. when i returned it... after a week he is still in tip top condition.:)
There are NO species of moray that live their life in FW. None. Zip. Nada.

Some go in to FW to breed, but as the morays age they need salt in the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store