Pumping power for 550 gallons.

Boydo

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Alberta, Canada
www.shineaquatics.ca
I have a 550 gallon nad have been running a single pump 2400 gal/hr and a 700 gal/hr pump recycling the filter, I 'm not sure if this is enough circulation, so I was considering adding another 2400 gal/hr pump to help rotate the tank better. Is this a good idea?
There are 5 large aro's, 2 rays ,ang a dozen clown loaches. I am planning on putting 3 more aro's in this tank shorty. Any thoughts.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
I have a 550 gallon nad have been running a single pump 2400 gal/hr and a 700 gal/hr pump recycling the filter, I 'm not sure if this is enough circulation, so I was considering adding another 2400 gal/hr pump to help rotate the tank better. Is this a good idea?
There are 5 large aro's, 2 rays ,ang a dozen clown loaches. I am planning on putting 3 more aro's in this tank shorty. Any thoughts.
works for me :thumbsup:

rkc772

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Southern California 91744
is it completely 2400 gph? plus the 700gph. If the pump has no restriction i would say it's fine. but need to count on head loss and all sort of calculation.. here's a nice website to see how much does it really pump out after the headloss but for me... it's enough. if you want to add some more i would go for an 1800 gph and take out the 700gph pump. but need to check if your current it too much it might end up making your fish spin in circles.

here's the website...:D

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

Boydo

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Alberta, Canada
www.shineaquatics.ca
With head loss the pump does about 2000 gal/hr the 700 gal/hr pump only recycles the filter it dosen't pump into the tank. I have another pump that would do 2000 gal/hr same as the one I'm using I was considering using it aswell for a combined rate of 4000 gal/hr.
I'll post some picks.
Thank you for the response.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store