scats

chucky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2005
The big bay area
how long can they stay in freshwater?can they live in there forever?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Silvers are supposed to adapt well but spotteds and rubies are reported to have very short unhealthy lives without marine salts added to the water, they seem to need the calcium salts or they get balance problems, fugus, and bacterial infections.

chucky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2005
The big bay area
I have a 8" silver scat and its eating like a champ but its mouth has some fungus on it what can I do to fix it???

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
Well the first thought is add salt, also check in the health forum and there is a sticky about mouthfungus.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The only scat species I know of that can do well in freshwater is the rarely available banded scat. The rest will have loads of health problems if not maintained in brackish to marine conditions.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
I have 2 silvers that are in freshwater and doing fine no health problems growing great, and feed like a champ. I was told that they can do well in fresh water and so far so good.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
Scats can be adapted to full salt and will do better as adults there than in full freshwater. The spot-banded or silver scat (now listed as Selenotoca multifasciatus, was Scatophagus multifasciatus) can go a long time in freshwater as long as it is hard and somewhat alkiline, the literature says they get bone and metabolic problems in soft, acidic water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store