puffer tankmates?

RTCatz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2006
los angeles
what are some good tank mates for figure 8 puffers and spotted puffers? Also, can these puffers be put together. Is it ok to put multiple figure 8s in one tank too? thanks

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
i dont know very many bc i dont keep them but i do know there big time fin nipers

andywg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2006
Southend, England
keeping anything with puffers can be hit and miss, though many have had success.

However, you can't keep Fig 8s with Spotted (or Green SPotted Puffers - GSP) as they have different desires.

Fig 8s require low end brackish, tending to thrive in and SG 1.005 whereas GSP prefer far higher SG and will hapily live their adult time in an SG of 1.023+ (or full strength seawater).

nick h

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2006
chicago
yeah, unfortuanatly you cant keep the two types of BW puffers together. anyway, you should be able to put a few F8's in one tank. i have three in my 55 gallon and they get along famously. they are in there with 2 knight gobies, and 3 bumblebee gobies and every one is happy.

green_fox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2006
canada
i dont think they like salt

clopez21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Cicero, IL
hmmm i have a figure 8 in my freshwater tank. Thats how they were advertised at my lfs hmmm but it has been doing fine for 2 months now. No abnormal behavior.

Fella

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2005
UK
crazyduckhunt;483371; said:
Can I keep a clown loach in a tank with 4 spotted puffers? and if so how many would you recommend(clown loaches)?

You can' t keep clown loaches with spotted puffers. Spotted puffers prefer salt in their water, and clown loaches do not tolerate it.

Hilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2006
Nottinghamshire, UK
Clown Loaches and Puffers are a big No.

clopez21;484114; said:
hmmm i have a figure 8 in my freshwater tank. Thats how they were advertised at my lfs hmmm but it has been doing fine for 2 months now. No abnormal behavior.
While F8's will live in freshwater conditions, they do much better in low end brackish conditions of 1.005. Their immune systems seem to be boosted by the brackish conditions and they tend to live longer.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
I've got a GSP and a Figure 8 in my 75 brackish and the SG is 1.012 which is sorta in the middle between the Figure 8 and and the GSP. The figure 8 is half the size of the GSP but a whole hell of a lot more agressive. He's killed a couple of my fish. In the tank with them is a dragon goby, 3 bumble bee gobies, a green chromide, a needlefish, some mollies, 3 male fiddler crabs, a columbian shark, a sebae mono, and a silver scat. I put some snails, ghost shrimp, and crayfish in their time to time, but i just end up with really fat looking puffers. I also had an albino channel, a blue channel, and another needle fish, which he killed all of them. :( So far I haven't had any problems with the two of them, except they are hogs when it comes to the food. hehe If I have any problems I will let you know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store