comm aro

dr01d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2006
Jakarta
can u put more than 1 aro in a tank?will they kill each other?? what types of aro are suitable in a comm?

T

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Fish Island
sometimes 2 works out sometimes 3 works out but if u wanna have a good chance of no fighting then 5 is good.

dr01d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2006
Jakarta
dont think my 6 ft tank will fit 5 aro....it will be bad when they are all adult...heard the silvers or the blacks are easier to comm...is it true?

Boydo

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Alberta, Canada
www.shineaquatics.ca
5 or more is your best chance, for example my 550 gal is a comm tank and I currently have a RTG, Green, 2 x Silver, and a black ( no fighting). I also have a 280 gal with smaller aro's, there is a Super Red and 4 silvers ( about 10", no fighting ). I have found that if you raise them together they take the comm situation better, I have tied putting together bigger one's that have never been with other aro's before and it didn't work well. Australlian Aro's do not work in comm tanks at all. I'm going to put all mine together in a few months and remove one big silver that has crooked back. the only problem with comm tanks is having a tank big enough, I would think that in a couple years that I'll be looking to build at least a 1500 gall tank, and the upkeep for good water conditions. Nitrate is the hardest to keep under controll, recently I have added 3 small plants in an attempt to help reduce nitrate and it has been working very well so far ( before plants = 50 ml/ltr, after < 20 ml/ltr).

Good Luck.

dr01d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2006
Jakarta
i wish i had that big of a tank.......thinking of juz having one black n a silver....will it work??or silver n a green???which one is a safer bet???i know 5 or more is the safest but its the tank saze problem....i saw some having only 2 or 3 aro in a comm...hmmm wonder how they do that?

Boydo

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Alberta, Canada
www.shineaquatics.ca
If you are set on just a couple, I have heard that if you get the fish from the same hatch It has worked. My addvise would be to have 1 or 5, I have heard more bad than good from having 2-4 in one tank.

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
The more there are in the tank, the more the aggression will be spread out. It also seems to work out better if they are raised up together from when they are babies. I'm raising a group of 6 at about 2-3" right now. I'm hoping eventually two will pair off and then I can get rid of the rest and keep only those two. We'll see how this experiment pays off.

dr01d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2006
Jakarta
this sux....a black and a silver will look gd together....

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
tiral and error, give it ago if it doesnt work out, u'll know fr next time
Yeah, if that's what you want to do, I say give it a go. Just keep a divider or spare tank on hand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store