JUNE BEETLES!

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
guys, i promised to post a pic of the spider variety that i fed to my aro but the spideys just went out of season. but just recently, june beetles have been swarming around our area. its one of the perks living in a tropical country, lots of seasonal critters! these beetles come out during mid may to the first weeks of july. my green aro gobbles up about 8 in a day, i feed him 4 times a day with a couple of these bugs. i usually do this every year, have been feeding my jardini with these beetles and he loves them too. i get the local kids to do the dirty work of collecting them, bribing them with a couple of candy bars for about 50 beetles. you can find them swarming mostly on mango trees(feeding on the leaves), shake a few branches and they fall down like hale. i dont usually stock a lot coz they dont do well in captivity and would only last about 3-4 days in the small aquarium where i keep them until feeding. here are some pics......

Dsc00419.jpg

Dsc00420.jpg

Dsc00421.jpg

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
lets not hope theres no pesticides or anything later

nah, i see to it that the kids get them from our own tree and i usually wait a day or two before i feed them and i never feed "non-moving" beetles:)

HiGhTiMeZ

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
Montreal, Canada
www.friendster.com
isnt that a little bit hard to digest? :confused:
and if i remember right, their feets have those little claws-like things that can scratch... ;(
wont ur aro get hurt?

justjonx2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2006
California
I believe ARO's eat all types of insects in the wild, so I think it'd be ok. You ever try freezing the beetles?? Thats what i do w/ my crickets. Less hassle.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
you're so lucky to have so many types if insects to feed your aro. and its all for free.

i'm damm jelous. :D

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
yeah, salagubang, LOL!

and yes, aros eat lots of insects in nature. i guess its where that bonytongue and rows of teeth come in. believe it or not, those hard shells get so busted when my aro chomps on 'em!

...and come july the local crickets will be in swarming season. they get in the house to tempt my fishes. no problem in the natural variety eh?

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
guys, i promised to post a pic of the spider variety that i fed to my aro but the spideys just went out of season. but just recently, june beetles have been swarming around our area. its one of the perks living in a tropical country, lots of seasonal critters! these beetles come out during mid may to the first weeks of july. my green aro gobbles up about 8 in a day, i feed him 4 times a day with a couple of these bugs. i usually do this every year, have been feeding my jardini with these beetles and he loves them too. i get the local kids to do the dirty work of collecting them, bribing them with a couple of candy bars for about 50 beetles. you can find them swarming mostly on mango trees(feeding on the leaves), shake a few branches and they fall down like hale. i dont usually stock a lot coz they dont do well in captivity and would only last about 3-4 days in the small aquarium where i keep them until feeding. here are some pics......
those things are ugly

our species are like a metallic blue color, there beautiful

but they are loud buzzers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store