Algae Bloom

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
I did a normal water change just like always yesterday and now my tank is started to cloud up. Could well water increase this? I've never had this problem until I moved here. This sucks. I've never had an algae bloom clear up on it's own. Input? Yes, all's well, water params perfect cept for high ph, which is normal, I mix well, city and r/o to get the optimal water conditions. No new fish. :swear: :swear: :swear:

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
If its just cloudy (milky like color) it's probably a bacterial bloom not harmful to your fish. You could try a number of things to correct it...Time it will more than likely clear up on it's own, increase your filtration, maybe a UV sterilizer (i am not very familiar with these but have read it could help), or cut out the well water it may have an increase in bacteria and no chlorine to kill it especially since you havent had this problem before.

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
Had the same prob with a few betta tanks recently. Solved it by just blocking the windows a bit. You may have too much direct or even indirect sunlight.

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
I know it's another bacteria bloom, maybe the snowmelt is affecting the water. Parameters are perfect as always, ph high. I drove 10 hours yesterday to Cross the Mountains and get Westside (Seattle area) water. My fish loves the western washington water, I think it's just too full of ppm glacier melt where I live right now. All of the rivers here are rating 5 plus for whitewater rafting, so I'll let my well settle.
I kept the lights off for 24 hrs and it's clearing up. Don't ask. I'm not sure my methods or textbook but they work!! My aro is fine, not distressed just spent all night thump! wack! Bang! splash! bratfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store