Goby's!!! Which one???

ferco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2006
Scotland
hi there, was recomended a Goby for my tank? but which one??? i was looking for one that is smallish... like grows under 6" mabye?
I read about Red throated and Dwarf Gobys? Anmy ideas, thanks!

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
well, there are all kinds of gobies, it is the largest fish family in the world. How big is your tank?? DO you want mid column, or bottom dweller. The Fire gobies are gorgeous fish that occupy mid column, but are only meant for real peaceful community. The prawn gobies are bottom dwellers that pair up with a shrimp, a prawn shrimp, and stay very small. Bith types are pretty common and range in prices from $10 for some of the prawn gobies, to about $250 for the best Fire goby. Yes there is a fire goby that is around $12.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
hi there, was recomended a Goby for my tank? but which one??? i was looking for one that is smallish... like grows under 6" mabye?
I read about Red throated and Dwarf Gobys? Anmy ideas, thanks!
Get a Water COw!!! WE have one that is going to make its way from the LFS to our house within days!!!

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I think the white cheeked would end up archer snacks

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
there are a lot of gobies that get to about 2 feet or a bit under. would Periophthalmus barbarus work?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
If your tank is well oxenegated and has a little current like from a small power head there are some great brackish-fresh gogies in the Awaous genus, 8-12" so they are to big for the archers to eat while not being aggressive themselves, most eat fishfood, insects, small inverts like worms, and also algea. they are mainly bottom dwellers that move in sudden little spurts. here are pics of one (most look very similar) this is the river goby (Awaous banana), the pics are from Artigas Azas and from gobidae.com

Awaous_banana_panama_pacific_sm.gif

Awban_u0.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store