Balloon Molly

AROWANA_KISS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
PUERTO RICO
Balloon Molly
Family: Poeciliidae | Species: Poecilia latipinna

Compatibility: Livebearers, Gouramis, Danios, Rasboras, Barbs, Tetras, Rainbowfish, Loaches, Plecos, and scavenger Catfish.

Remarks:
The Balloon Molly is a hybrid variation of Poecilia latipinna, the Sailfin Molly. The Balloon Molly prefers a tank of at least 30 gallons with lots of strong plants such as Java fern, Sagittaria, Vallisneria and Anubias. They require a good filtration system because of their hearty appetites. They may pursue their young and the young of other fish.

The pointed anal fin and much larger dorsal fin on the male, and the rounded anal fin and pregnancy spot on the female differentiate the two. Requires a spawning tank planted as densely as possible. Every 60-70 days the female give birth to 10-60 young that are already approximately one-half inch long.

The Balloon Molly is omnivorous and requires both meaty foods as well as algae. Provide these fish with an algae-based flake food, as well as freeze-dried bloodworms, tubifex, and brine shrimp. HABITAT: Mexico and USA south of Carolina.

Cool Sites: Goldfish World, Guppy Paradise

Aquarium Tank Conditions: 68-82°F; pH 7.0-7.8; dH 10-25

Aquarium water hardness chart
0-4 dH
very soft water
5-8 dH
soft water
9-12 dH
medium hard
13-18 dH
fairly hard
19-30 DH
hard
30 dH
very hard above

Size: 4 3/4 in (12 cm)
Diet: Omnivorous
Tank Levels: All
Temperament: Peaceful

by DATA FISH

Kin Corvida

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2006
S.E.A
Know this is an old post but its the most relevant one. Didn't want to have to bother someone to repost data that's already here...

Basically I've switched from Freshwater to Salt but I still favour the Balloon Molly above all else.

What I'm getting at is that i know they can do brackish but can they do full salt?

I'm going to start acclimatizing them on the weekend, having given them almost a week to quarantine and de-stress. I plan to start adding a small cup of salt water from my marine tank every other day until the ph matches up with my main tank before putting them in with the rest of the salty inhabitants.

I'm a little worried that the goby and shrimp I have in there may chomp on newborn fry (oh well, at least its fresh food) but am hoping there will be some smart enough to hide in the algae growth. Also to ensure a few survivors, there are 2 males and 4 females to start.

Any thoughts or has anyone tried them in full salt before? Don't want to experiment on them if they aren't going to make it...

Kin

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store