crickets?

aro ahoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2006
oak harbor
my aro really seems to like them. would they help in the prevention of drop eye cuase of the low to zero fat factor and high protein. and wut other foods would accomplish the same thing? i heard something about cocktail shrimp soakd in a vitamin solution or somehting to that effect. hook me up

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Welcome To MFK!!!

Not cocktail shrimp since most nutrients are cooked out. Offer your aro raw shrimp, meal worms, crickets, FD krill/plankton/mysis shrimp, and arowana sticks. Older aros can be fed the occassional anole lizard, grass frog, and corn snake (My large silvers liked them) along with crickets, FD krill/plankton/mysis shrimp, and aro sticks.

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
its better to feed your arowana a balanced diet of insects (crickets & superworms), shrimp, mussels and frozen fish.. the problem with crickets and superworms if used as staple is they have this addicting effect on arowanas and they won't take any other food after sometime of feeding them exclusively on those..

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
its better to feed your arowana a balanced diet of insects (crickets & superworms), shrimp, mussels and frozen fish.. the problem with crickets and superworms if used as staple is they have this addicting effect on arowanas and they won't take any other food after sometime of feeding them exclusively on those..
Agreed.

Boydo

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Alberta, Canada
www.shineaquatics.ca
I've been trying mixed food lately and so far so good, ingredients are as follows:

These are just approximents

- 1.5 kg of raw prawns (remove head and shell)
- 0.5 kg smelts
- 0.5 kg anchovies
- 0.5 kg beef liver or heart
- 1/2 package of frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup of shelled peas
- 2 large carrots
- 2 cups of arowana floating food

I use food processor and mince everything one iteam at a time to mud like consistency, then mixing all togther in large bowl, add gelitin to bind ingredients, put in large freezer bags.

The reason I'm trying this is that my fish get fussy most times, so I though I could feed them one thing with everything in it:thumbsup: that would be the way to go.Next batch Igoing to add a container of superworms aswell. The nice part of this is that what the aro's don't eat or miss the loachs, rays, and pleco's clean up. I've only been trying this for a few days know and almost all the fish are going for it now.

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
Welcome. Oak Harbor WA? USA? Welcome. My aro is crazy over crickets, everyone has great ideas here. I feed the crickets grated carrots and ground up hikari carnivore pellets and then he'll switch back from live to pellets because they must taste or smell very similar.

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
YES I AGREE. try some rotation to give your aro the best of everything, and sorry i dont think there is any real preventive strategy for dropeye

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
yeah. agree with the rest of the members. dun feed cocktail shrimps. go for raw shrimps, they are better. if your aro can accept pallets that would be the best cos the usually contain most of the vitamins for your fish.

else you could try out beefheart that's mixed with vitamins. usually aros would reject these foods if you've been feeding them live foods or insects. you'll need to starve your aro a bit to get them chomping on the ones i've suggested. ;)

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
In my experience, arows will eat anything. Pellets specially made for them are probably the best option, but for variety mine has eaten any type of small fish that it can fit in its mouth, lizards, mice, worms, mealworms, other types of bugs, small snakes, basically everything you can think of lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store