Sluggish ropefish eel ??

rocky1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2006
texas
I did a water change today in my 50 gal brackish water tank and now my ropefish is acting really slugish. Also the water is not real cloudy, I have tested the water and all levels seem to be in the normal level but I did end up losing a clown loach. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions for me.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
clown loaches are real suseptible to water temp changes, which would happen if your doing a water change. Also i dunno how well rope fish and clown loaches do in brackish water, always known them as a freshwater fish

rocky1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2006
texas
I have a inline heater and tried to be careful with the temp, everyone was happy until today. I was told that the eel was suppose to be in brackish water, is this not so? and I have no idea why the cloudy water.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
this your reedfish? they are a freshwater fish. how long has the tank been up and running?

Oddbal1143.jpg

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
clownloaches and ropefish are NOT brackish water so start doing waterchanges to bring down the salinity

rocky1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2006
texas
I have had it set up for a month, I bought the 50 gal tank from a pet store (they had used it for a while) it has a canister filter and they said to go ahead and run it (with the used filter) to speed up the process, i set it up and let it run 24 hours befor I transfered the fish

rocky1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2006
texas
I just checked and it is aquarium salt for freshwater fish that I use in the tank (per my sisters advice). does this make it "brackish"?

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
I would just cut the salt out. That kind of salt is used to heal fish and doesn't make it brackish. Also if you have any brackish fish take them out and either return them or put them in a different tank with actual sea salt to make it brackish. Ropefish and clown loaches are deffinatly NOT brackish and you cannot just make any fish brackish.

Chad

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
What else is in the tank?
Although reedfish/ropefish (Erpetoichthys calabricus) is considered a freshwater fish it is often found in brackish marshes in the wild and will do fine in a fairly brackish tank (up to 1.015 sg) so it can be kept with many brackish fish. The Clown loaches are salt tolerant but not as much as the ropefish (if I did the math right up to 1.010 sg max for long term). Both do great with just 1 tbsp. salt per 5 gallons so if you have no other brackish fish you could reduce the salt level to that and save a little hassle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store