WHY THE ATTRACTION TO AROWANA? tell your story

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
we are all arowana lovers here, so let's confess our love at first bite moments with this ancient fish.....and why.....

for me, i first saw an aro about 11 years ago, a 3 foot long silver at this mall's petsore. i was astounded at the sight of such a huge and magnificent fish back then i was only familiar to goldfishes:D . my pal told me it was an arowana, cool but never really pursued that interest until again i saw a feature on aros on tv. so i got me a silver but it died a year later... i didnt really know what i was doing. it depressed me so it took two years until i decided on getting a jardini, had it for 3 years until i was forced to give it up for logistic reasons, i was away for college and my mom cant be trusted with fishes. now i have a jardini and a green, this time with enough knowledge to address most concerns in keeping these fishes.

the reason why i love them? one word...NOBILITY. unlike other predatory fishes (i love bad boys), aros are neither scary looking nor just plain gluttons. despite the imposing jaw and body, this fish has PRIDE, GRACE and POWER in everything it does. no other fish can claim such. i'm not a sucker of all that luck and prosperity asociated with the arowana, all i know is when one who appreciates beauty beholds a good arowana of any variety with its huge shiny scales and air of strength, none can deny....... the arowana is KING! :headbang2

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
simply the way they move. also love the way they look from a bids eye view too

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
I have to say the attraction was because this was the only fish my father couldn't keep during his fishkeeping days. He also loved these fish due to all these reasons but that was back when fish stunting and filtration were not as understood as today..

Pangong_ilong

I want one too !
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
Fresh Meadow, NY
I would say, they look very elegant. And yes, the way they move, very smooth. They are the only fish that can do 180 w/o taking that much space.

xxblwn408

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
iN A sMALL pADDeD RoOm
My infatuation with Aro's started when I was a freshman in high school. There was a lfs called Pet's N Plant's near where I used to live. They had a display tank with a large silver aro and some other fish in it. I would sit there just watching it swim back and forth. It was sooooooo calming. The only thing was it didn't look like any other silver. Now that I have more knowledge of aro's I would swear that it was a platinum. Does anyone in Hawaii remember this fish?

After seeing that aro, I knew I just had to have one.
So I Begged my Dad for a larger tank. The biggest he would agree on was a 55g.
I know, I know, But that's The biggest he would allow.
We went to Pet's n Plant's and got a 3" baby silver aro. I raised him to about 15-20". Maybe he was smaller but, you know how they get bigger in your memory ;)

About a year and a half later I ran away to live with my Grandpa. Before I left, I droped a few dozen feeders into the tank to hold him over. I only stayed at my Grandfather's house for a week. My dad picked me up and hauled me back home. When we got home, something was missing.

He had sold my beloved aro to another lfs, called coral fish.:swear:

Well that's my story anyway...:screwy:

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
I would say, they look very elegant. And yes, the way they move, very smooth. They are the only fish that can do 180 w/o taking that much space.

yeah, gotta love that 180:D and i the fact that not everyone can just go and get one just adds more to the attraction

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
i like asian aros for the colour,sclae pattern.
as for aros in general i like overall temprement and the way they move.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The way they move is everything for me. I love watching the silvers and blacks turn the most. The coloration on the asians is astounding, and the Aussies are cunning predators. Africans don't do it for me at all though.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Yeah the way they move, and just the sheer beauty of them. They are just so gracful for something that can get so big. Plus I haven't herd or seen another fish that can catch a bird mid flight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store