Sand or Gravel

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
Currently I have about 1/2 inch of gravel in my tank. I know a true amazonian biotype should have sand. I've never used it. What is better for a Silver Aro? do you vaccuum it like gravel, and run the same canister filter, biowheel, skimmer or does that change it??Does it affect water parameters? How would one introduce sand in an active aquarium after removing gravel.....???? I think you get idea here....input?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
If you have good enough filtration remove it and replace it with sand. I dont think the aro will really care either way. I just run a gravel vac over the big peices of crap to suck them out, and stir the sand once in a while. Usually I'll have a fish stir it up on its own so the crap goes into the filter. I have never had sand mess up a filter either.

If you like fine sand go with play sand, but wash it ( a LOT)

If you like a more coarse sand go with pool filter sand (my personal favorite)

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
For an arrow what ever substrate you use dosen't really matter, since he will never be forageing for food in it.

As far as cleaning it I have rays so they stir it up, if you don't gas can built up underneathe the sand until it is established in the tank for awhile. So if you don't have a fish to stir it up just do it every so often for about 3 months. For me to get out debris I just siphon it off the surface of the sand with some tubeing.

Also depending on how fine the sand is it can get sucked up in the filter. I have fine sand and I get lucky and don't get much in them but I still do none the less. I have heard people saying sand ruins filters but I have had it for a long time and if that was the case I don't think so many people would had sand.

What you have now is fine unless you are opting for sand and want to do the work of changeing the substrate.

If so what I did was found a sand that I liked and that was worth all of the effort of takeing out my garvel, which I had mor than you. I started out and cleaned the gravel the best I could, and the I scooped it all out. So then that is done.

Next take whatever sand you buy, wheter it says washed or not on the bag you should still rinse it off to get out all of the dust and smaller paritcles. I just put as much as I could carrin in a 5gl bucket and just rinsed it with the hose until the water ran clear. Then repeat as nessecary.

Then when you have that sand clean just take it to the tank and take a cup or small container and slower pour it out onto the bottom of your tank. Get as close to the bottom as possible.

Just do the last two steps until you have as much sand as you want in your tank.

But again you don't really need it for your aro unless you want it.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
I used sand with my aros.

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
thanks, I wanted to switch to black sand and make my aquarium have an eye catching look, plus It will be better for photography. My fish is bored anyway. He won't stop eating his friends.......so he likes it when I change the tank around. Appreciate the input.
Then you guys won't have to hurt your eyes looking at my crappy pics!

Blacksunshine420

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
WA
Black sand looks nice and all but keep in mind that its just crushed onyx. and thus can have some sharp edges. Not a concern so much with arros as they rarely sit on the ground. but bottom dwellers may not like it much.
as for your filters you will want to make sure the intakes are moved up about 6" or so from the ground so any sand that does get kicked up dosen't get sucked into your filter.

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
Black sand looks nice and all but keep in mind that its just crushed onyx. and thus can have some sharp edges. Not a concern so much with arros as they rarely sit on the ground. but bottom dwellers may not like it much.
as for your filters you will want to make sure the intakes are moved up about 6" or so from the ground so any sand that does get kicked up dosen't get sucked into your filter.
hmmmmmmm...thanks! I didn't think of that stuff. I'm trying for a zen look in my tank but my aro keep dessicrating budda and knocking him over, so I told my sro that's why he has bad Karma!

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
QUOTE]

Well, I guess I'll go for white then, that might still show off an aro's color. Thanks, looks like you're new, welcome. What kind of fish do you have? How long you been keeping aro's?

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
Then you guys won't have to hurt your eyes looking at my crappy pics!

Whats wrong with crappy pics!:confused:

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
I'd like a very thin layer of find sand. But is not possible cause it would mess up my filter. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store