RTG Sick?

Boydo

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Alberta, Canada
www.shineaquatics.ca
My 18" DFI RTG hit his head about 3 days ago and lost the first couple scales right behind the top of the head. He has stopped eating and now his color is looking very pale. he swims with his tail above the rest of his body and somtimes below, and is breathing heavy. I have other aro's in this tank and they are all great. water param's: PH = 7.5, Nitrate = <40, Nitrite = <0.1, Ammonia = 0.0. I do a 25 % water change about every 5 days. I also noticed he has air bubles in his mouth.

Any Ideas?

Arofanatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2006
London
www.arowanas.co.uk
My 18" DFI RTG hit his head about 3 days ago and lost the first couple scales right behind the top of the head. He has stopped eating and now his color is looking very pale. he swims with his tail above the rest of his body and somtimes below, and is breathing heavy. I have other aro's in this tank and they are all great. water param's: PH = 7.5, Nitrate = <40, Nitrite = <0.1, Ammonia = 0.0. I do a 25 % water change about every 5 days. I also noticed he has air bubles in his mouth.

Any Ideas?
The loss of colour and appetite is synonymous with the trauma suffered by the fish, not too sure about the balance. there is nothing you can do except to give it time to readjust and recover by itself- you will be surprised hoe resilient aros are!!

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
my silver has knocked himself senseless a few times, showing most of what you described as symptoms. I'd be worried but the longest mine ever stayed stunned was 2-3 days. They're tough, cool reduces swelling watch your temp it could be swelling on his brain-nervous system. Mine developed an unbelievable bruise once. If he is gasping or breathing through his mouth, add more air, plus increased o2 accelerates cell regeneration and healing. Keep him calm. Good luck. If added air doesn't stop the gasping with the bubbles he's blowing trauma or swelling could be compromising his airway, all you can do is try to keep the swelling down so you may choose to drop the temp do it very very slowly as to not further traumatize his system.

Boydo

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Alberta, Canada
www.shineaquatics.ca
My temp is 83.3 F now and normally can't get it much cooler this time of year. I was wondering if Idimed the lighting if that may help. I will add extra air pump and see what happens.

Thank you for your help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store