Should I?

paul112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2006
United Kingdom
okay, tomorrow I will be trading my LFS some fish, the ones that have lost their appeal, such as my mollies and my second peacock eels (the first was special, the second one sucks).
Anyway, thats not the point. Trading gives me some money. Another LFS has some Gold nugget plecos for £4.50 ($6?) and they are about 2" long.

I know, I know, I'm not being stupid and asking pleco lovers if I should get a pleco :screwy:

The REAL questions are:
1. The 'gold nuggets' don't look like some pictures I've seen on the internet. These ones are more a brown colour with yellow spots.
2. Will this 'gold nugget' be alright with my other pleco, around the same size? (Gibbiceps, L 164)

And yes, I AM becoming hooked :woot:

Paul:headbang2

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
for 4.50, i doubt it will be a GN, but you never know. if it doesnt look like the first pic, then it isnt. it could be a L001 shown here as they are sometimes known as gold spots. did it have a yellow seam, or just the spots. and were the spots consistant and perfect, or a bit sgraggly like L001. you should get a pic of it really. chances are, it will be ok with your gibby

L018.jpg

L022.JPG

paul112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2006
United Kingdom
No, its definatly not the first picture. However, I read somewhere just before that GNs are hard to keep, and a brown colour one seems more hardy?
Look at the pot in the second picture of your post Davo, the background colour of the fish I saw is the same as the colour inside that pot. The spots on it are also perfect circles, not like that second pic.
Either way, I'm buying that fish. I'll post pictures when I get it (if the shop serves me. Im under 16, but the other LFS serves me, and I always show that I know what I'm talking about by engaging in good fishy conversation!
Paul :headbang2:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
what the hell? you gotta be over 16? i've never had a problem age wise. GN's arent that hard to keep (none of the 3 spp). ive got the L018, and never had problems, but they do seem to be imported a lot with a hollow belly. as the pleco is young, just make sure it doesnt have a hollow belly, as at a young age its harder to get it back to full health, and it may have internal parasites good luck

did it look like this http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=732

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
How big are the spots?? My immediate thought goes to galaxias, possibly a stressed one.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
heres a pic of a galaxias off planetcatfish. they are often this colour when they are young, and like wyldfya said, a lot of blacker plecos (esp wen younger) can change to a more browny colour. there would be quite a few plecs to guess, so a pic wen you get it i think! :thumbsup:

3.jpg

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
lol you found it before i did. it may be stressed if its newly imported or it may be mal-nurished, but some are just like that when young.

and yes that would be a good price for one

paul112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2006
United Kingdom
Cheers Davo, i'll give it plenty of cucumber when I get it. I's so obsessed now that I went 'treasure hunting' around my house (i spent all my money today on a syno catfish and some other random pet stuff) I'm debating to trade my four mollies to get this :screwy:
If i trade all my mollies, and one peacock eel, then my 20 gallon (dont worry, larger tank for when plecostomus' get bigger!)will have the following in it:
1 x Gibbiceps Plecostomus L164 (2-3")
1 x Vampire Plecostomus L240 (2-3")
1x Kehole Cichlid (2")
1x Peacock Eel (5")
1x Syno Catfish (2")

Paul :headbang2

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
where bouts in UK are you. i would personally definately trade the mollies for this, because a) its worth it, b) i dont like mollies and c) plecos are a better fish. it sounds cheap for anything but maybe a common

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store