jumping aro

erider

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2006
north atlantic
not sure what to do. he is so scared al the time he is only about 10 inches. also very picky eater only likes fd shrimp and trout filet.help me

monster_lover01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2006
Philippines
what kind of aro do u have? i have one silver that is like that.. always scared, keeps on jumping and go crazy whenever someone bump the tank and etc.. i think its common, and it will be gone when the aro's big.. i also have a jardini, but i'ts not like my silver, it's not scared..:D

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Dim the lights if they are bright, dont make sudden movements, and teach him to trust you.They can be very tame:)

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
I agree with rally. I wouldn't keep the lights on 24/7, they need dark time to rest too, so that could make it even more stressed. How long have you had the aro for? Might just still need a little more time to get used to you. You could also try hand feeding. I've found that has made fish a little more used to me in the past.

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
Relax and he will. Mine is 18" and adolescent, he's feeling the call of the wild and he's just scared. It's normal. Mine is a jumper-WEIGHT YOU TOPS Remove sharp edges. I use 2 clip on side lights with amber lighting and mine settles. If my room light is on, my tank light must be on or he spooks bad. Get him eating Hikari carnivore, if he won't eat, remove the food and wait a few hours, sometimes they'll starve for 3 days, but they'll eat. (Providing he's healthy) Get a Malaysian bog log to lower the ph and mellow him out. Your Aro is an Aro, they will always jump. I cannot stress to you that fish will hit that top with a lot of force and more as he grows, will go right thru glass, don't want to come home to that. Get him some colored floats to teach him to look up. I have a sign at the entrance to my living room: Move Slowly and please do not spook the fish. He'll get used to you and be your best friend in no time. Might black out the sides for a few mos if he stops being so jumpy when you do it-test it- Good Luck MFK is a great place, these guys will help you through it all and they know their stuff.:welcome:

wild caught

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
illinois
beat the **** out of it, show its whos boss, shake it around a bit, push it down some stairs......wait , nevermind thats bad. dont do that.

yeah, most fish that are left with lights on all the time seem on edge. i started turning off my oscars lights and there much tamer now, they dont jump and they dont bite at eachother.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
What tank size is it in??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store