Brackish Water salt content

reiger1320

Feeder Fish
Jun 8, 2006
holland michican
i have had aquarium salt in my tank for some time and now i just bought some green scats and i am reading that they should have marine salt not aquarium salt. my tank is 55 gal so should i just do a 50% water change and then start adding marine salt to my tank and do this once a week for a month or two to remove the aquarium salt and replace it with marine salt. i also have a figure 8 puffer, lepoard puffer and a few mollies. the also how many tlbs. should i start off with and where should i end up at. thanks for the help:)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Hiya Reiger, welcome aboard to MFK.
Scatophagus argus (green scats) should have a marine salt such as instant ocean or one of the others. Replacing the type of salt you use at water changes should work fine.
I don't keep scats but the greens start out not needing much, about 2 teaspoons salt per gallon when very small but as they grow they require more salinity. By the time they are adult (10-12") they should have heavy brackish to full seawater (5-7 tablespoons per gallon) This is from several sources such as this one, http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile56.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store