Peat safe?

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
Hey, I am going to add peat as media to lower my ph and up the tanin, but there's peat all over for different purposes. Peat is Peat basically. So would compact peat for starting plants work ?? wash it? boil it? chemicals? A little help here........please!

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
Think there are fish shops that sells peat. Get it from fish shop and never use garden peat. :)

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
why dont you use prepared peat extract from your lfs? better and easier to use, no mess. try Sera Morena or the tetra brand counterpart

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
Think there are fish shops that sells peat. Get it from fish shop and never use garden peat. :)
So I understand why, why never use garden peat?

I live so remote it is really hard to buy anything the only peat within 200 miles!!
Fed Ex overnight is like 3 days if they can, otherwise they don't have 4x4's!!!

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
garden peat is fine, just get the kind that is organic (no fertilizers added)

lfs peat cost more money for the amount you buy, with garden peat, you get more for less :thumbsup:

why dont you use prepared peat extract from your lfs? better and easier to use, no mess. try Sera Morena or the tetra brand counterpart
getting messy is the best part of this hobby :naughty:

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
So I understand why, why never use garden peat?

I live so remote it is really hard to buy anything the only peat within 200 miles!!
Fed Ex overnight is like 3 days if they can, otherwise they don't have 4x4's!!!

may be a bit risky for the aquaria and there maybe added chemicals, fertilizers.... even insecticides

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store