I know pleco's are dirty, but this is crazy!

mjime714

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2005
Los Angeles
So for the past few weeks, I started to see strings of poop hanging on branches of driftwood, tumbling around the bottom of the tank and just everywhere. Long pieces. I have no idea where it was coming from so I vacuum the gravel.

The next week, I see more so I vacuum more.

Finally I find the one responsible. I see my chocolate pleco (who is usually out at night) swimming around with a string thats a good 10 inches long!

MAN!! I knew they were dirty, but common.. Is this normal? Is he sick? I have had him for a some time and he has grown a bit since. From what I can remember, the mess did start when I got him.

As far as health, he looks fine to me. Should I feed more veggi's?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
hahaha. yea its normal, and a good thing. just keep feeding a mix of veggies and meat and it'll be fine. they are the pooping machines, and you'll probably have to whip out the ol' gravel vac a bit more often!

mjime714

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2005
Los Angeles
Thanks Dave!

Dirty little freak that plec. LOL It was starting to look like he was hanging up garlands for Christmas.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
if the poop is only 10" the chocolate must be small. Mine has recently made 14", and his poop can be over 24". It's very normal. Planted tanks love plecos once the plants are established.

sour_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2006
Toronto
Plecos are poop machines!! :ROFL:

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Ya think thats bad. My old H. plecostomus common coloration (chocolates belong to this species, just a color morph) was 18" and the one before that was 22. The one that was 18 could poop the entire length of the 55 he was in. The 22 could poop strings that were in excess of 8'. when they can go down a 5 foot stretch turn and make it more than half way back... there goes the water quality... CRAP!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store