mixing arowanas?

vinodlaxmikanth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Malaysia
Is it advisable to mix a juvenile yellow tail arowana with a juvenile silver arowana in a 4 ft tank?
How about when they both reach adult size? Would they be a threat to each other?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
They're a threat to each other now. The only success stories I've heard of, involving mixing aro species, has been to keep 5 or more in a huge (over 1000 gal tank). Of course, jardini aros haven't been mentioned in the mix since they're probably the most pugnacious.
Two is never a good number since whichever individual that becomes dominant will focus all their aggression on one submissive individual. Same goes for 3 - insufficient aggression outlets. For some reason, the magic number has been 5 or more.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Yeah I agree with oddball.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
yellow tail and silver arowana? in this case you'll have a good chance of success. go try it out.

1 asian + X south america

usually works.

dapike1979

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Guelph, Ontario
I agree with oddball!! But if you try it make sure you have a few tank's ready to seperate them!! Good luck!:D

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
silver in a 4 ft tank? no way.
It would outgrow that tank very quickly and never reach adult size.

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
silver in a 4ft tank would be feisty enough as it is, add a yellow-tail and you've got the makings of an achilles vs hector tragedy....i'd bet on the yellow-tail if both are of the same size in bulk not length

vinodlaxmikanth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Malaysia
thanks for all the input.... have decided against getting a yellow tail. at least for now.
With reference to the use of a 4ft tank... well, it's 'temporary' just to buy some time until i'm more settled down in a home of my own so that i can opt for a massive 8ft or even 10ft tank....
but for now it'll have to do ... besides 4ft tanks are far more convenient to move around than 8ft ones.

Hey, does anybody have any idea about other 'cool' fish i could put together with my silver arowana, i.e. good tank mates.
I currently have a fly river turtle, 3 juvenile senegal bichirs, some corydoras and a featherfin upsidedown catfish...
I'm looking for more interesting and unique fish to add to the community tank... any suggestions anyone??

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
from my experience, anything that wont fit in the silvers mouth (that isnt agressive enough to go after it) will be ok.
I've had several different fish with my aro, and the only one that has been killed was a smaller silver.

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
Hey, does anybody have any idea about other 'cool' fish i could put together with my silver arowana, i.e. good tank mates.
I currently have a fly river turtle, 3 juvenile senegal bichirs, some corydoras and a featherfin upsidedown catfish...
I'm looking for more interesting and unique fish to add to the community tank... any suggestions anyone??

Good post, I'm working on the same thing, get tankmates now cause mine was the size of your last summer, now the only fish he won't hurt is a little angelfish he's had from day 1 as a buddy. Turtle? You have a...cool..real turtle, how big, it just swims? in the Water always or does he get out, does he get along OK with the aro? That's fascinating. I like that idea. Details please?:woot:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store