lochness

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2006
USA
Hello all - I seek your help.

I was given this link http://www.petsforum.com/arg/Associates/EECHObogwood.htm

but it turns out the product is no longer being sold

I have searched for Bogwood online (not driftwood which is different) which is a natural petrified wood found, as I have read, near roots of Mangroves, bogs in Ireland and around Europe. For some odd reason, it was pretty readily available 10 yrs ago in the NY Metro-Area when I was deeply into the hobby - and now that I have returned to fishkeeping after a 10 yr hiatus, it appears to be scarce for the fishkeeper but prevalent for wood carvers and sculptors.

I have searched eBay and many other sites but it seems to be available only in the U.K. and Europe and often no option to purchase from U.S.A. - also, photos of the wood seem to be of poor quality or too small to truly appreciate.

Any info or online stores that anyone knows about would be immensely appreciated.

Please note: I am not referring to Mopani, Cypress nor Savannen
tho I am seriously considering Mangrove or smoothe Cypress from LA swamps at this point http://www.aquaristikshop.com/cgi-b..._e&userid=siwNxvEqyNpVxU18zTbIFOdYnHobQ5WWm5B
http://stores.ebay.com/SWAMPS-of-LOUISIANA_AQUARIUM-SINKER-DRIFTWOOD_W0QQfsubZ3

I am interested in Bogwood due to it's propensity to sink on it's own, it's extremely attractive texture and for the future catfish I intend to keep, namely, plecostomus, ancistrus and other suckermouth fish. As I'm sure you all are aware, the wood has been found to be a necessary part of their digestive system.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
there are some plecs that can do without it, but dont get me wrong a lot do. you could use any bogwood, after boiling it and soaking it for a few days, and it still floats, you can always tie it down to some slate or put something on top of it, but it will eventually stay "sunk". im not sure this is the right area for this question, you may get more help from the aquascapers or buy and sell

lochness

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2006
USA
hi and ty for the ideas :)

- actually, bogwood is a distinct type of wood - what you are referring to is driftwood - I am aware of the different types hence why I speciifed bogwood in particular. I wasn't sure if this was the correct thread but since *wood* as a topic is very important to pleco fans, I figured was a good place as any :)

I will try the aquascapers section too thnx ;)

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I use malaysian wood, which is a driftwood, but will sink immediately. Also oak driftwood works well. Both sink, and are fairly available in the US, especially the malaysian. The bogwood you seek I haven't seen available in the US for several years. My plecs all love the malaysian wood, and it is very versitile.

andregurov

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
future wetlands, Louisiana
Funny, I always thought the Malaysian wood is bogwood. It certainly won't float ;)

It also possesses near-potent amounts of tannin and takes months/years for big pieces to quit discharging it. The Malaysian wood should be available anywhere in the US. Good luck ...

J

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store