Young Pleco diet?

TotallyBarracuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Oregon
:cool: Me Pleco is still small and won't even eat algae disks yet. He "exclusively" nibbles on the tank algae. Is that an okay diet? He's barely two inches in length and his mouth is still pretty small. I was just wondering if I should try feeding him chopped vegetables and algae disks now or wait till he has grown another inch? :shark:

P.R. = Plecos. Rule. :thumbsup:

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Size doesn't matter for plecos. He may not eat while you are watching, but he will eat the algae wafers. Make sure to feed at night. I would offer veggies still. 2 inches isn't very small considering that some only grow to 4". What kind of pleco is it? If it is carnivorous start offering meaty foods, like beefheart and shrimp.

TotallyBarracuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Oregon
:cool: Thank's man. I'll give the wafers another try and purchase some Zuchini. Its a common plecostamus WyldFya! :shark:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
if its a common, it's very small, and would appreciate fresh veg, and even some meatier foods. algae is by no where enough for it alone

socalsurfer

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
So Ca
I have a common and havnt fed him anything. I guess I should get him some alge wafers. He's in my main tank, so anything I throw in there more then likely my Oscar is going to eat.
So what can I try that my OScar wont want?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
duno oscars are greedy. would eat veg? or bloodworms? i would imagine it going for any type of pellet if its on pellets already.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
well, plecos are nocturnal so feed then turn the lights out, may give it more of a chance

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
A large spear that won't fit in the oscars mouth would be good. Slice a zucchini in lengthwise and then again lengthwise and put that in. Leave it for an hour or two and the pleco should get his fill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store