Proper Angles for Identifying Plecos

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
In order to help identify plecos it is necessary to have good pictures, with good angles. Having these can help with identifying the species, sex, and genetic variation. The use of moonlights will help. Make sure to either use close-up setting or optical zoom.

1. Topview photo: This shot is important for pectoral and pelvic fin coloration. Photo tip: Remove the pleco into a clear plastic trap. Do not use a flash. Shoot the picture from above. Method two is to shoot the shot when the pleco is on a decoration or the back wall of the tank.

2. Sideview photo: This shot is important for body shape, fin type, connection between the dorsal and adipose fin, or lack there of. Photo tip: Once again the easiest method will be to remove the pleco into a clear plastic trap. Do not use a flash. Shoot the phot from the side.

3. Underside photo: This shot is important for identifying sex, and/or species. Photo tip: Turn off the lights at night, and add food. Wait for the pleco to come out, and wait for it to come to the front pane of glass. Using flash is fine, as color is not important unless there is a problem with coloration near fins, or underside all together. If you are worried about coloration due to parasite or infection use a trap, without flash.

4. Mouth photo: This shot is important for examining teeth, and odontodes. Photo tip: Same as underside photo.

5. Snout photo: This shot is important for examining the shape of the snout. Photo tip: Use the clear plastic trap again. Method two turn off the lights and add food. When the pleco comes out take the photo using flash.

6. Head profile photo: This shot is important for examining odontodes for sexing purposes. Photo tip: Use the clear plastic trap again.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Topview.jpg

Punked out Green phantom.jpg

Underside-view.jpg

DSCF0933.1.JPG

Punk Pleco g.jpg

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Good info, thanks for sharing.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
a couple of things to add to this very useful thread

the sideways shot is most important to see odontodes, as not all species have them really prominant as the photo from the bottom view (even in males), and are not always that developed in young plecos. for example species that do are usually ancistrus and Hypancistrus and develop them quite early in their life.

i think that is it important that taking the picture of the underside does make sure that colouring is visible (contrary with what is said before) because many similar looking plecos, for example the many black with white spot plecs, can be cut down, as some keep the colour of the body, and some are just white. it can also be important with royals, to see the pattern on the underside of the plec.

also on the side pleco view, if possible it is easier if you can get the picture with the caudal and dorsal fin erect, as this helps with determining pattern, colouring, shape of the fins, and whether it is partially see through or not.

it is easiest to get the pictures once you buy your pleco, and before putting him/her into its new tank, place it in a small see through plastic container. the reason for this being some plecs are extrememly shy (esp. in the first couple of days) and you may not see for a long time, let alone get them in the postitions you want for the photo. also, plecs change colour when stressed, and some species change colour with other moods, so bear in mind when moving it around, and make the picture accurate to what the plec would NORMALLY look like.

also wyldfyas post is mainly based on identifying physical characteristics like body shape, but it also important (not that it isnt a physical characteristic), if not more important, to get a photo that is accurate and true to the plecos colour, ie if it is black/green, make sure it is stated it has a green tinge, or the photo is true to that (and not just black). the pattern is also important, as many plecs have identifiable patterns on their body.

o and the side head profile is especially important in identifying ancistrus sp. (bushynose plecs), along with general side profile.

other than that, dont take pictures like ewurm, or we'll never know if its a plec or plec poop.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
the sideways shot is most important to see odontodes, as not all species have them really prominant as the photo from the bottom view (even in males), and are not always that developed in young plecos. for example species that do are usually ancistrus and Hypancistrus and develop them quite early in their life.
The close up side-head shot is more useful for this.

i think that is it important that taking the picture of the underside does make sure that colouring is visible (contrary with what is said before) because many similar looking plecos, for example the many black with white spot plecs, can be cut down, as some keep the colour of the body, and some are just white. it can also be important with royals, to see the pattern on the underside of the plec.
Color still isn't important for this shot. All we need is the patterning. All plecos that are distinguished by there bellies are done so by pattern not color.

also on the side pleco view, if possible it is easier if you can get the picture with the caudal and dorsal fin erect, as this helps with determining pattern, colouring, shape of the fins, and whether it is partially see through or not.
Forgot to mention that. It is very important in identifying numerous plecs (particularly L200s) to have the dorsal open.

it is easiest to get the pictures once you buy your pleco, and before putting him/her into its new tank, place it in a small see through plastic container. the reason for this being some plecs are extrememly shy (esp. in the first couple of days) and you may not see for a long time, let alone get them in the postitions you want for the photo. also, plecs change colour when stressed, and some species change colour with other moods, so bear in mind when moving it around, and make the picture accurate to what the plec would NORMALLY look like.
While it is true that it is easier, the coloration are not always accurate from the store. Most of my plecos, even from a good LFS will not show their coloration until I get them home. The L106 that just died had a nice bright red seam and a green body. However, when I took the picture he was straight from the store and had floated and then put into the trap, and he was a dull gray and had a yellow seam.

also wyldfyas post is mainly based on identifying physical characteristics like body shape, but it also important (not that it isnt a physical characteristic), if not more important, to get a photo that is accurate and true to the plecos colour, ie if it is black/green, make sure it is stated it has a green tinge, or the photo is true to that (and not just black). the pattern is also important, as many plecs have identifiable patterns on their body.
Coloration has been mentioned in the thread. The only picture where color is not important is in the underbelly shot, and only if there isn't some abnormality that needs to be addressed. I agree that some cameras can't accurately capture some plecos colors, such as L239.

o and the side head profile is especially important in identifying ancistrus sp. (bushynose plecs), along with general side profile.
YEP!

other than that, dont take pictures like ewurm, or we'll never know if its a plec or plec poop.
:naughty::ROFL::thumbsup:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
yea, meant a closeup on the head from the side.

there are some plecos without pattern that are similar, and have different coloured bellies. mainly just either the same colour all over or white. if the pleco is a lighter colour such as grey, or yellow, it is hard to determine.

i mentioned that when stressed they can change to a different colour, some more than others. then again, if you are just putting them into a container from your own tank, they are still going to get stressed. so best of all, if you are lucky enough to get one of them in the tank then fine. if you leave them in a container for a little while, there colour will come back. also i only saw recognition to colour in pectoral and pelvic fins (if we're being pedantic) but i know what you mean.

o and another thing, using a moonlight is good so you can view your plecs, but depending on how bright they are, they may not come out well, and also what colour the moonlights are will make the plecs colouring appear different in a pic than what it really is

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
also, this thread is about taking photos of them for others to identify, but of course you can use this information to help do it yourself!

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
yea, meant a closeup on the head from the side.

there are some plecos without pattern that are similar, and have different coloured bellies. mainly just either the same colour all over or white. if the pleco is a lighter colour such as grey, or yellow, it is hard to determine.

i mentioned that when stressed they can change to a different colour, some more than others. then again, if you are just putting them into a container from your own tank, they are still going to get stressed. so best of all, if you are lucky enough to get one of them in the tank then fine. if you leave them in a container for a little while, there colour will come back. also i only saw recognition to colour in pectoral and pelvic fins (if we're being pedantic) but i know what you mean.

o and another thing, using a moonlight is good so you can view your plecs, but depending on how bright they are, they may not come out well, and also what colour the moonlights are will make the plecs colouring appear different in a pic than what it really is
That is true about the stomach, but I don't think there are many of those plecos floating around, well swimming around in tanks. If someone takes a picture like that it is easy enough to get one without flash.

As to moonlights, I personally don't need them any more to attract the plecos, but when I did I only used them to attract them out.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
well, at least this thread ensures us 6 crappy pics from ewurm when he gets a new plec as opposed to just the one

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store