Blind Plecos

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
yup well, theres cave systems all over the world, and we don't know exactly how many miles worth, but i know there are a lot.

along with many other animal sp, lack of light gives lighter pigmentation, and over a long period of time, the use of eyes are...well... none. i think these are the only two sp. of blind pleco that have been described, but i may be wrong, so i challenge you to try and find more!

the first pic is anscistrus formoso, and the last 2 pics are ancistrus cryptophthalmus.

the first is found in South America: Buraco do Ducho Cave in Formoso phreatic system.
the second is found in South America: São Vicente and Angélica-Bezerra cave system in upper Paraná River, Tocantins River drainage.

there not a very high profile fish, so here they are, shared with MFK

000blind plec.JPG

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
oh, and Ancistrus formoso are said to reach 7.9 cm and ancistrus cryptophthalmus are said to reach 6 cm, although im not sure how valid this information was

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Pretty cool, didn't know there were blind plecos. I had a blind bristlenose before but that was do to a dumba$$ cichlid taking his eyes out.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Pretty cool, didn't know there were blind plecos. I had a blind bristlenose before but that was do to a dumba$$ cichlid taking his eyes out.
lol. not quite the same thing. unless he lived in a cave too.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Yeah he had a rock cave that he hung out in. He actually lived fine for like a year but died for some reason. He actually could compete with the other bristlenoses. As for that cichlid, he pissed me off so I fed him to a bigger one. Hows that for payback lol.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Yeah he had a rock cave that he hung out in. He actually lived fine for like a year but died for some reason. He actually could compete with the other bristlenoses. As for that cichlid, he pissed me off so I fed him to a bigger one. Hows that for payback lol.
:ROFL:

yea. anyway these are naturally occuring, and not just a genetic mutation variation (at least not a one off) and not caused by anything like imbreeding. nor eyes being removed lol

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Oh I see, sorry my isn't good enough to qualify, Jk.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
info was from fishbase.org, it was the thread on having a dark set up (for blind fish) that reminded me of them, and here they are

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store