DIY cages/enclosures

brokenbluetears

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
La Crosse, WI
ok i'm really sick of paying mass amounts of money for an enclosure/tank/cage for my iggys for them to just grow out and need a new one in bout 1 year or less... so...

has anyone made your own iguana cage? and if so what would you suggest for an indoor enclosure? would some type of wire be ok? or is glass/plexiglass better, etc? best way to make an easy take apart and move cage... things of that nature... if you can help me at all that'd be great! thanks.

also, best way to make a basking shelf for the iguana in the cage? would it just be better to mount/nail logs n stuff to the back of the enclosure?

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Probably the easiest enclosure to make would be out of plywood, with a plexiglass window so you can see them. They hold heat and moisture well (if treated with polyurethane), can be built to whatever dimensions you need, and are relatively inexpensive, especially compared to store bought enclosures.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
i made this one out of a glass display case I found on Craigslist. I redid the background and now it works perfectly.

DSCN1506.JPG

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
I house my igs on remodeled wardrobes and I cant beleave how good it works. I however would recomend that you skiped the glass front and insted used ruber mesh with plastic sheet on front, because even if it makes poorer vision your ig will have more places and chances to climb (also its cheaper, and your ig has lesser chances of rubbing its face then with glass).

Mike D

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Spencer,Ma
I built and enclosure into a walk in closet for my big igg. Its go sliding glass doors and such and holds heat and humidity real well. Can't be taken apart or moved.

And before that he was in a cage I made from PVC pipe and plastic mesh. Worked amazing. Gave him tons of room to climb and I was able to make ramps and basking shelves from the left over PVC and meshM was real cheap as well. I will try and find pics later when I get home

RandomWiktor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2010
USA
www.learninggonewild.com
One of the iguana rescues I visited converted old bunkbed frames into some pretty wild ig enclosures; said it was very easy to find folks giving them away. Zule isn't full grown but his enclosure is made out of a converted shelving unit frame with wire sides and a PVC front. You can also make some light weight easy to move iguana enclosures out of PVC and pvc coated wire mesh. Simple wood and mesh also works but is heavier.

However, if where you keep your iggies is very dry, I agree that something that holds moisture better is the way to go.

brokenbluetears

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
La Crosse, WI
snakeguy101, bout how deep is that cage and how big is your iggy?

how deep to you suggest a cage be made for an iggy?

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
brokenbluetears;3918262; said:
snakeguy101, bout how deep is that cage and how big is your iggy?

how deep to you suggest a cage be made for an iggy?
the cage is 2 feet deep and 4 feet wide and 6 feet tall. It is only temporary for my iggy but when he out grows it, I will be putting him into a 12' x 20' courtyard that I have "lizard proofed" and I will put my frilled dragon into his current cage.

brokenbluetears

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
La Crosse, WI
aaahhh i thought it didn't look quite deep enough for a permantent home...

how long will he be when he finally outgrows it then?
i'm thinking a 3-4 ft iggy should have at least 4-5 ft to turn around in for depth?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store