Indian mudskipper setup

Fishyfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
CA
Hey guys,

I would like to set up a Indian mudskipper (Periophthalmus novemradiatus) tank, but there doesn't seem to be too much info about keeping mudskippers on the internet. I have 3 magazines with an article about mudskippers, and the only thing they say about Indian mudskippers is that they max out at about 4" and that they are harder to keep. Does anyone know why they say that Indian mudskippers are hard to keep? Not as hardy? I have a 40 gallon tank (48"L x 12" D x 16" H) and i am going to divide that in half so that would give the mudskippers a 24" x 12" land area and a 24" x 12" water area. Does that sound good? Would two 12" x 12" areas be better? Maybe a few mangroves? I'm thinking of keeping the water level at 6-8" as i would like to keep a few small fish to occupy the water area. Does anyone know what mudskippers are compatible with? I've always wanted to keep a fig 8 puffer, probably too big... As for food, my LFS carries live blackworms, krill and baby crickets. From what ive read, that sounds like a good diet for mudskippers. Right now, i have a fluval 304 on the tank. Would this make a good filter? It seems that mudskippers also need humid air, am i correct? If i were to position the filter outtake so that it makes a little bit of splashing, would that keep the humidity up? I also have tight acrylic tops to keep the aquarium humid. Also, Ive read that SG can be kept anywhere from 1.005-1.015. What would be the optimum SG?

Does my plan sound good? Please post your comments or suggestions

thanks

Legacy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2006
Hacienda Heights
Most mudskipper keepers suggest at least 1sq foot per individual mudskipper because of how territorial they are. I'm thinking this probably mostly applies to B. Barbarus which usually kill eachother until there is one last standing.

Indian mudskippers have a reputation for being fairly peaceful with one another and give the opportunity to keep a decent sized group in a smaller tank. I'd suggest a species only tank if all you have is a 40G to work with. I'm going to try to keep some in my 200G Paludarium, and in my opinion I think it will barely accomidate mudskippers and archers together and we're talking 84x24x24. They need a lot of beach area to "skip" around on.

I'd probably start them out at 1.005SG and move them up to about 1.010SG. Mudskippers tolerate a large range of salinity. Freshwater is typically not tolerated at all for very long periods of time.

Fishyfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
CA
Hmm so what size would you suggest for a tank this size? maybe 6?

I'd suggest a species only tank if all you have is a 40G to work with.
so there isn't anything that i can add to occupy the water area? like a few small bumblebee gobies and some ghost shrimp?

Fishfreak218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2006
South Florida
fiddler crabs. for a tankmate. . JMO . make the water slatwater.. use sand to make a natural slope.. up to a beach/land area then plant a mangrove or two in the beach/tide area (SHALLOW water.. right beofre the land area).... and put a peice of driftwood that is half in and half out of the water.. JMO though..
thats how my LFS has it set-up

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Make sure to watch your temperature. I know I keep my AC low during the night and the heater off during the winter (Louisiana). I learned the hard way that mudskippers need heat both in water and air that is around ~80 since they are tropical. At any rate, a sealed canopy will do the trick and you may not need a heater if it is sealed well enough.

dingoofus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2009
Bundy, Queensland, Australia
Definatley have some plantation on the ground area 8D. The mud skippers around here like to wade in puddles of muddy water, less than a cm deep. I'd put some dips and hills on your ground area, and try make it as muddy as possible.As for tank mate, I reckon an archer fish or two would go allright, what does everyone else reckon?

Dragon cqzzzzz<

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Illinois
Well I'd reckon that you can't keep an archer with mudskippers in a 40 gal. There wouldn't be enough space for it.
Bumblebee gobies might become lunch. Ghost shrimp are cheap and sold as feeders anyway, so you could try. I've never heard anything good about mixing skips with crabs.
I would suggest having more land area than water. Multiple land areas would be good, but not really necessary.
How deep are you planning to make the water?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I have had/still have many skips. No matter what species you go with tank mates are a bad idea, been there, done that. They are hardy fish IMO but one thing most people don't consider is if you keep a very small amount of water and messy fish, you end up with a nitrate FACTORY. Water changes are daily on a small set up if you want to keep the nitrates down. A real pain for brakish water...

In a 40 gallon, I would go for 1 P. Barbarus (African) or 4-5 Indian. Just make sure your prepared to give a good maintenance schedule. Mangroves are not even a question, they are a must! I love my mangroves and they eat nitrates/look cool. :D Skips love them too. Sand is also a must over gravel.

Reactions: Matteus

dingoofus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2009
Bundy, Queensland, Australia
Mate, I just came up with an idea for ya tank. If you want to have your water level at it's full potential, so you can have a few more fish in your mudskipper tank, why don't you do what they do with turtle tanks,instead of banking your sand, or gravel up to make a platform for your skippers, why don't you have a small platform fixed to the side of the tank, which doesn't need footing on the floor of your tank which increases your water area, sorta like this blokes turtle tank.

http://cyber-soup.com/pamster/Tank.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store