ALGAE

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
K I have a 70 gallon jag tank with 2 very small brsitlenose plecs that are not doing a good job on algae. What is the best pleco for algae??? or if not pleco what invert or whatever is best for algae????

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
What all do you keep in this tank? A common pleco will do a decent job of cleaning the tank. If the bristlenose isn't working, get a couple more. They are very good at cleaning algae. The one other I would recommend is the flash pleco L204.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
bristlenose are THE best at cleaning algae. look at the size of your bristlenose, then the size of the tank. i imagine it would be like one maid cleaning a castle, and they cant keep on top of it. buy some more ancistrus, or i can recommend ottos

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
how often are you leaving the lights on? Is it in direct sunlight? I just use a mag float for algae control:)

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
a lot of plecos wont touch algae, you have to look into each one. royals are supposed to be reasonable at cleaning algae. but i think your best bet are stick with bristlenose, but more. they'll prob breed too. o and id advice you on just the one male (with bristles) and the rest females. there are two pattern variations of the ottos if your gunna go that way

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I've got a couple of tiny bristlenose in my planted 15 gallon fry tank, and they're lovin the green stuff. In one week, almost all the glass is polished, my plants are seeing some light again and my driftwood is startin to look more brown than green. I think they're great wee guys!
Got a 2" "Clown Pleco" the other day for my main 30 gallon tank. Are they nocturnal and do they eat algae? He looks like a stone and has moved as much as one over the last 24 hrs....

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
no clowns suck for algae.... I had one before in a discus tank and all he ate was wood. They can actually chew holes right through your driftwood. As for enjoying them.... you won't cause you never see them.... I wouldn't see it for months at a tiime.

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Did you mean that NO clowns suck for algae, as in they don't? I've got plenty of driftwood and he's only little, so I should be ok for a while....!

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Clowns will eat algae, but not much. They only grow to a size of 4". Clowns hide a decent amount, but mine is out every day.

To answer the earlier question most plecos are nocturnal, save only a handful. For the most part it is best to drop your pleco food in as you turn your lights off for the night.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store