"Clown" Pleco?

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Anyone have experience of keeping Clown Plecos? (at least that what he was sold to me as...) I picked one up the other day, just a little guy at the mo. About 2". Looks like he's wearing Desert Storm camouflage!
Hasn't moved much since I put him in the tank - hiding out in some plants! Can't get a pic yet 'cos he's hiding, but looks happy and in good health...just doesn't do nuthin!
Is he nocturnal? Will he help me get rid of algae in the tank?

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Just done some Googling and my little pleco may not be a "Clown" after all. Looks like he's actually a

Tiger Plecostomus (L-002)

Wish lfs knew more about the fish they sell....!
Any advice out there?

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
if hes an L002, it wont help with alae. it probably wont if its any of the other "clown" plecs. plecos are nocturnal, but it should venture out more after a while when its not new in the tank. goodluck and post some pics soon

bmxer4ever

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I will if he ever comes out of hiding.... need to get a bristlenose for my algae then. Will a bristlenose and my new Pleco fight? Presuming he is clown or tiger...

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
no they wont. esp. if you have lots of hideouts. there are many ancistrus sp. and some are very good looking, but i guess depends how much you want to buy. bristlnose are good, but remember, if youve got a big/biggish tank, they cant do it all by themselves. if you get more than one, get only one male and the rest females. males kill each other. they are easy pleco sp to breed too (prob the easiest)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store