Do I need to glue or use sealants for PVC plumbing?

angeladay

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
So Cal
www.youtube.com
So, I finally gathered all materials needed to plumb my drilled tank. The question is, do I need to use any sealants/glue to to connect PVC pipes into bulkheads? One of the bulkheads is threaded.

Please help!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You can use teflon tape for the threaded fittings and PVC adhesive for the slip fittings. Once cured the adhesive becomes inert and is harmless to fish. If you want to set up your plumbing for ease of future disassembly, you can use threadded fitting throughout your plumbing and/or use PVC compression couplers.

pvccoupler.jpg

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
do yourself a favor and use glue. It won't harm your fish and is alot more reliable. Unless you plan on dismantling it later then use threaded or compression type fittings.. Also the wet set type of glue dries faster.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
I agree glue in my opinion is better.. Leaks can be nasty :)But i've seen happy campers with threaded fittings :)

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Glue? What type of glue?
Check your hardware store for PVC glue/sealer/adhesive/cement. You'll find it in cans with 1" screw tops for the applicator wand. I use the clear sealer which works on both white PVC and black ABS pipes/fittings. The cans look like this but, the labels differ depending on brand and application.

pvccement.jpg

arlo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2006
Rowland Heights
yes use sealent. like if ure attatching a 90 degree elbow onto a staight pipe u should spread the sealent on the straight pipe first and then stick the elbow on. i made the mistake of trying to seal the piping after i had put everything together. doing it the latter way causes leaks, doing it the first way makes it bulletproof :naughty:

Hasi

Go hard, or go home
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
Australia
I used PVC sealeant and it does no harm to fish once dried. Definitely need to glue the PVC pipes as water pressure will eventually bust from somewhere.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Glue...seriously use it.

I've seen so many people regret not using it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store